Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Call me bad luck Bobby today

I think my good karma is asleep. I wanted to do something nice for my BRAT today, so I did an oil change, tire rotation, cleaned the inside, windows and all, and headed for the car wash. I decided to clean under the hood too. got the disty all wrapped up so it wouldn't get wet, and went to cleaning. Was very careful about where the water was spraying and such. Got the whole car done, wiped it all down. unwrapped the disty, and it started right up. :banana: Pulled out of the car wash onto the road, and headed off. Went about 1/4 mile, and the brake light and the charge light come on, and the car shuts off just like someone turned the key off. It started right back up again, ran for about 20 seconds and then died again. Luckily I was close to home, so I just kept starting it up and rolling down the road until I got home. I noticed when I got in the driveway that there is a kind of howling noise coming from the alternator. At least I think that's where it's coming from. Did I kill my car???:dead::eek: What do I start checking to figure out what I've done to it??? HELP

Pretty sure you shorted out the alternator, you didnt let it dry out before you put electric current through it by starting the car...

-Bill

But I did let it dry, really. Maybe not long enough though. DAMMIT!

And yes B-74, the new one will be a lot cleaner...:rolleyes:

You know i washed my engine once, never covered up the disty or the battery. Got the alternator wet probally. STarted it up then it died. Didnt start for 15 minutes but then started up and ahs been fine since. Ive also sprayed tons of other engines never covering anything up and never fried a system. You musta got water in the wrong place, big time. Good Luck.

This is the second time I have washed my engine since I bought this car. First time, no worries, started right up, ran great. But this time....kaput!

Now I am going to go pull the alternator and take it to have it checked to see if I have indeed killed it. :( When I get back, I guess I will have to have a :drunk: to either celebrate, or drown my sorrows. :)

Voltage regulator.

Even if you replace the alt. be sure to replace the V/R as it is reccomended in the factory manuals that you replace both at the same time..

Not many out there this past week,I can tell you that, unlsee you go thru stores and pay much more than the usual eBay price. Be sure you get the correct one. Check the V/R connector,yours should be ROUND.

I had my hands on an AM only radio but you don't want that,right? Also had a turn signal stalk in my hands too. p/n -6821 15231 which for some strange reason I can't find in my parts manuals. I have others too,somewhere.

Voltage regulator.

Even if you replace the alt. be sure to replace the V/R as it is reccomended in the factory manuals that you replace both at the same time..

Not many out there this past week,I can tell you that, unlsee you go thru stores and pay much more than the usual eBay price. Be sure you get the correct one. Check the V/R connector,yours should be ROUND.

I had my hands on an AM only radio but you don't want that,right? Also had a turn signal stalk in my hands too. p/n -6821 15231 which for some strange reason I can't find in my parts manuals. I have others too,somewhere.[/quote

Is is an absolute necessity to change the V/R also? Checker has one but it is $60. Would it make sense to use one off a JY car? I have access to one, but I don't know if that's a good idea or not. No way to tell if it's bad.....and it is 1 1/2 hours away from me. There should also be a stalk in the JY car too that I could get, once I figure out if I really need it or not. Don't ever really use the high beams, and everything else is working fine for now. (Knocking on wood as I am typing this)

Yes, I prefer an am/fm radio. I never did look in the jy car to see if the radio was in it or not. Maybe I should if i have to go to the jy tomorrow. If i recall, it was not, that was why I was talking to you about one.

Well, I burned out my eyeballs reading all the info I could find about the problem I've been having. With loads of help from you good people and testing and trying lots of different things, I finally narrowed it down to the Voltage Regulator. I wanted to be sure I needed one before I coughed up the $60 bucks I was quoted (actually found one at NAPA for $40), and another $72 for the alternator that I toasted (damn externally regulated beast, of course the one with the internal regulator is only $30).

I know I could swap over and go with the internally regulated alternator, but I'm not confident enough in my electrical wiring skills to tackle something like that just yet.

So I will get those 2 new parts in and she'll be cherry. BUT, of course there is always a BUT....in checking for burnt or shorted wires, I did notice that my throttle cable was hanging on by one thread, literally. So, now I have to wait until next week to have one brought in from Seattle, because it is a special order I guess. So that will give me plenty of time to check out the combo/switch issues I am having also.

Anyway, I should have the BRAT back on the road by next weekend.

I wanted to thank everyone for all the help and advice you've given. I'd be up sh*% creek if you weren't here to help.

Thanks ever so much

Bobby

Gosh I hope they aren't taking too much money for the cable. I've seen those on eBay too. Ext. Reg. Alternators are fairly cheap on there too.

You got a pretty good deal at $40 from a store for the V/R. On eBay they show up cheaper but its been a bad couple of weeks for spotting any - naturally when I need one.

I'm thinking these early AM/FM's are getting kind of hard to find now. :-\ But I'll get one to you if there's one here. I can't wait for the day that I have things organzied. :mad:

Gosh I hope they aren't taking too much money for the cable. I've seen those on eBay too. Ext. Reg. Alternators are fairly cheap on there too.

You got a pretty good deal at $40 from a store for the V/R. On eBay they show up cheaper but its been a bad couple of weeks for spotting any - naturally when I need one.

I'm thinking these early AM/FM's are getting kind of hard to find now. :-\ But I'll get one to you if there's one here. I can't wait for the day that I have things organzied. :mad:

I can get the cable from NAPA for $8, plus $8 shipping from Seattle. Not too bad 'cept I have to wait 3 or 4 days to get it. I get a good discount at my local NAPA store 'cause I've known the owner since I was 12 years old, and it amuses him that I've always liked to work on cars. I used to help my Dad a lot, because I wanted to learn how to work on cars, so I would go with Dad to get parts and whatever, and Russ thought that was great. So he helps me out on the cost when he can.

I did check on ebay and there was one older style V/R on there. But I guess I'm still kinda leary about buying parts from there.

Organized? What a lovely thought. Just when I think I am, something throws a wrench in the works, and it all goes kablooey! No big deal on the radio, if you run across one, great, if not, I can live with what I have.

Thanks again for your help with all my issues.

Bobby

:) sounds like you're on top of the game more than I was giving you credit for. Right on girl ! And avoiding eBay is a good thing.

I'm going to put a call out for those early AM/FM's just incase.

I'm sure I have a box with several early radios.And I'm mighty sure there's at least one AM/FM but probably not more than 2. We scored some in a lot of NOS stuff from PA. But that old organization vs storage vs time and all in consideration of good weather to do it in....waaaaagh.

Thanks for the ego bump. :banana::cool::banana: I am willing to try just about anything at least once, otherwise how can I learn the right and/or wrong way to fix these little beauties.

My boyfriend is pretty mechanical, but he keeps calling my BRAT a Jap car, (which we are both very well aware that it is, but it's the way he says it), and the car and myself both get offended.:eek: So I only let him help me do the easy stuff, like crawling around under the dash to unhook that end of the throttle cable and things like that while I watch with an evil grin on my face:lol: It's his own fault!

Keep me informed on the radio situation, again, no big hurry.

Toodles

Bobby

Hey, I think I spotted an am/fm radio in the jy here in spokane, I'll see if it is.

Oh, btw, does anybody know how to get it out with out breaking off the knobs?

I have yet to figure that one out.

I spent a good hour and a half on it, and am still lost.

Twitch

Make sure its not an aftermarket...you know the deal. :)

Knobs should pull right off. If tough wiggle up and down a little as you pull.

We're probably not going to find many AM/FM's before the '79's. But some people got the retrofit for the '74 - '77's Others bought the Kraco :mad: I was a lucky kid and had my brother's hand-me-down Blaupunkt in my '78 Brat and my '76 Coupe wayyyyy back in the early 80's. I can still recall the sound and the way it took a couple of seconds to fully power up like an old tube radio. Story over ...g'nite

Okay, I'm about ready to pull my hair out. I got the new alternator, V/R, belts, shocks, fuel filter & throttle cable all intalled finally. Went to start her up to pull it out of the garage, and guess what??? Now it will not start:mad::mad: Cranks just fine, is getting plenty of fuel, but will not turn over and start.

It ran just fine 3 days ago when we hot wired the fuel pump to make sure it didn't get ruined. We let it run for about 5 minutes to make sure it was working properly. Made sure it was getting fuel again today.

So, what do I check/change now?? I'm about going crazy here. We are going to check for spark tomorrow, (had enough for tonight). Could I have killed the coil also?

Bobby

Edited by bratgrl
incomplete sentences...

Okay, I'm about ready to pull my hair out. I got the new alternator, V/R, belts, shocks, fuel filter & throttle cable all intalled finally. Went to start her up to pull it out of the garage, and guess what??? Now it will not start:mad::mad: Cranks just fine, is getting plenty of fuel, but will not turn over and start.

It ran just fine 3 days ago when we hot wired the fuel pump to make sure it didn't get ruined. We let it run for about 5 minutes to make sure it was working properly. Made sure it was getting fuel again today.

So, what do I check/change now?? I'm about going crazy here. We are going to check for spark tomorrow, (had enough for tonight). Could I have killed the coil also?

Bobby

Are you still running a Points disty or an electronic unit? I would check the module if its electronic or the points and make sure everything is as it should be there, then check out the coil. Do a spark test from the disty and the coil.

-Bill

Hey, at least your car didnt blow up in flames, i would say your luck is still considerably better than mine lately.

-Bill

DANG! Bad Luck there eh? Okay, so I agree, my luck is not as bad as I thought.:lol:

Are you still running a Points disty or an electronic unit? I would check the module if its electronic or the points and make sure everything is as it should be there, then check out the coil. Do a spark test from the disty and the coil.

-Bill

It has an electronic unit, no points. I will be checking for spark this afternoon. I'm just sooooooo frustrated at this point. I need to just take a breath, step back and shoot it in the radiator.....:mad: But seriously, is there anything else I should check while I'm at it?

Bobby

I would check the the spark system in this order if it were me

Check power to the coil. If its good, then check the coil to see it if sparkes. If it does, then check the disty for spark.

If everything works, then the problem would have to be fuel related. If the coil insnt getting any power to it, then check fuses/fusible links, wiring, etc. till you find why its getting no power. If its geting power but no spark, the bad coil. And obviously if the disty isnt sparking but the coil is, then something in the disty is arry.

Hope you get it fixed, tracking down electrical mysteries is a pain in the but sometimes, Im still trying to figure out my '69 Lincoln, the 4 ways stay on all the time, unless I turn on the headlights :confused: Ive got it narrowed down to the 4 way switch in the column though, just cant figure out how to replace it yet :rolleyes:

-Bill

Okay, now I'm really really confused. Got the new coil, put it on, car starts, but again will not stay running. Jumper the fuel pump, car starts, runs, stays running, charge light is still on dammit, turn off the key, pull key from inginition, car is STILL running:eek:, pull jumper wire, car finally stops when it runs out of gas.

What the He!!?:banghead::banghead: Please, someone put me out of my misery and tell me why this is happening. I'm really not good with wiring, and I don't know anyone that is that can help me. Chasing wire shorts and such is not my strong suit.

I know I may be beating a dead horse here, :horse: but if anyone ideas where to even start looking, I would at least make an attempt if I had any clue where to start. I would need semi-detailed instructions though, cause like I said, wiring and me don't play well together.

Last resort, I'll have to pay someone to figure it out for me. Hate to do that with labor rates so high, and I know how time consuming chasing electrical problems can be. But, I'll have to buck up and break out the credit card I guess. :(

Again thanks to all who have and all who might help....

Bobby

Did you try replacing the ignition switch? Just the part that screws on to the back of the lock cylinder, I have a few spares i could send you if you want. Also, what did you jump the fuel pump to, a switched power circuit or a constant power circuit?

Prolly shouldnt power wash you engine bay anymore :eek:

-Bill

Ignition switch sounds right.

Bobby, Factory Service Manuals are really cheap compared to labor charges.

Probably thing to do now is disconnect the neg. battery terminal and check the switch mentioned by our friend above for burn marks.

Did you try replacing the ignition switch? Just the part that screws on to the back of the lock cylinder, I have a few spares i could send you if you want. Also, what did you jump the fuel pump to, a switched power circuit or a constant power circuit?

Prolly shouldnt power wash you engine bay anymore :eek:

-Bill

Hi Bill,

I would really appreciate you sending me whatever you think I need. You can contact me at 801-550-3731 to arrange payment and get my address and such. I also will need instructions on how to get the switch apart if you don't mind. I looked at it, but my brain is so fried, I cannot figure it out. I will also try doing a search in the forums to see if I can find any instructions.

And I promise I will NEVER ever power wash the poor little car again...

Ignition switch sounds right.

Bobby, Factory Service Manuals are really cheap compared to labor charges.

Probably thing to do now is disconnect the neg. battery terminal and check the switch mentioned by our friend above for burn marks.

Hi Paul;

I was waiting to hear from Qman about a service manual that he had. I sent him my info, but have not heard back as of yet. Guess I'll do a search for one of those also to see if anyone has one they are willing to part with.

Did a search on e-bay and bought a service manual for $12.95. So hopefully that will help me out when I have questions or problems in the future.

Thanks again everyone for all the great advice, I'll let you know how it goes.

Edited by bratgrl
update