Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Call me bad luck Bobby today

From all your input, and a trial and error process, it has been narrowed down to the igintion switch. My friend at checker found me a new switch, so as soon as I have that, I will try it out and see if it works. The only difference in that the new one has spade type connectors on the back for the wires instead of solder joints. I am hoping it is labeled like the old one so I can get the wires in the correct places so I don't fry anything else.

Thanks Bill, (The Beast I Drive) for calling me last night to offer your help. I still may need those parts we spoke about. If I can't make this other one work for whatever reason, I will be calling you back.

Keep your eyes crossed for me guys, I need all the luck I can get.:)

post-19374-136027633712_thumb.jpg

Well, I picked up the new ignition switch, got it installed, turn the key, starts right up, brake/charge lights still on, runs for a few seconds and dies. Start again, while its running, turn it off, pull out the key, still running. So, my question is, what do I try or replace now? I am going to the j/y to get a different ignition module tomorrow,( a new one is $400:eek:) at least I think that's what it's called. It's attached to the coil with a bracket. Hopefully the one or two I get won't be bad also. If that doesn't work, I guess it's off to the mechanic and pay their outrageous prices to figure it out for me. I really wish I knew more about electrical stuff on cars. It's probably something really simple and I don't have enough knowledge to see it.

And what is that box with all the wires coming out of it that is on the side wall of the strut tower right above the coil and ign. module? I haven't figured that one out yet.

I've almost spent as much as I paid for the whole car trying to fix what I broke. I feel so sorry for my poor little self. :lol: But seriously, if anyone has any ideas of what to try next, or feels like coming to Utah to help me out (kidding of course)....I'd be very grateful.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so I finally gave up and took the car to a mechanic that had some knowledge about wiring on my car. Three days, and $300 later :( , I got her back. :banana::banana:

I guess there were a bunch of wires that got fried when everything went south, and a fuse under the dash somewhere that I had no clue even existed. But they got it all fixed up for me.

So now I'm thinkin' she'll be good for another 3o years or so. :lol: (I should be so lucky).

Thanks to all who tried to help out. I really do appreciate it.