Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Reading SRS / Airbag codes '98 OBW- finding the connector!

Greetings!

I'm trying to sort out an airbag warning light on my wife's '98 OBW. I'm having trouble finding the diagnostic connector and none of the diagrams on line seem to match the pinout. (Wrong number of pins, wrong shape connector, etc.)

I've got an orange connector, a grey connector, a black connector and two green connectors all loose by the accellerator pedal. I know the green connectors (with a single wire going to each one) are not the airbag diagnostic wires.

I'd really appreciate any advice finding the connector and knowing which terminal to ground to read the codes.

Thanks!

Nathan

Thanks for the link- I have seen that and unfortunately, none of my connectors match the shape and pinout of the connector illustration in the article. Perhaps someone has done this on the same or similar car and can tell me more, like what color the connector is and what the pinout is like?

One of the very few things I'll take a car to the dealer to diagnose.

Just did it a few weeks ago. Best 50 bucks I've spent in a long time.

CLock spring (or whatever Subaru calls it) was bad. On the way I realized the horn didn't blow and that it was probably the clock spring.

They found the ABS connectors (jambed BEHIND the fuse block and almost crushed), flashed the code. Grabbed a wireing harness section with a resistor and confirmed the clock spring.

I could have spent many days(partly because I'm not very good at electrical stuff) and don't have the necessary expertise or patience for any sophisticated electrical problem. SRS stuff is on a whole different level?

Replaced the clock spring on thursday and the light went off.

The EndWrench SRS link already given above is good information. The black 6-pin B82 diagnosis connector (for ABS/SRS/AT testing, depending on model year) and ''diagnosis terminals'' (ground leads) are often fully taped to other wiring, so check closely. For a better idea of what to look for, see: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showpost.php?p=668884

Once you get the airbag light flashing, the codes are 2-digit, with ''longs'' of 1.2 seconds indicating tens and ''shorts'' of 0.3 seconds indicating ones, with 0.3 second spacing. If there's more than one code, they'll flash in sequence, with a 1.2 second space between. As the EndWrench article states, the ''normal'' code is an on/off sequence of 0.6 seconds for each state. Be sure to note if the ''normal'' code is outputed following the trouble code(s), as that has meaning.

If you don't have the code list, post what you read and I can tell you what they refer to.

Edited by OB99W
Added color of B82 connector

Well, I identified the connector (the black one- the pins are spaced asymmetrically, unlike the diagram) and got codes 12 and 22. (Driver's side airbag or control module/ Passenger's side airbag or control module.) Considering the improbability of both airbags failing simultaneously under a non-crash condition, I thought I probably needed a control module. (I might add that this car never had any airbag issues until two years into our ownership, so it's not like it was previously wrecked and the airbags weren't replaced properly or anything. )

Just for kicks, I decided to examine the pass side airbag; got under the dash on the RH side and noticed two airbag related connectors. The connectors themselves were seated properly, but one of the wires had a mounting bracket on it which was loose, so the wire could flex. I repositioned the wire, cleared the codes and the SRS light is now operating normally. I'm sure the problem isn't solved - there must be a broken wire, a loose crimp connection or something. I'll monitor the situation and see if/when it acts up again and try to narrow it down.

Nathan