Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Okay, so I'm looking for some opinions about something. I have a 2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i...I LOVE IT!! This is my second Subaru purchase...and after my first I was hooked!! So I bought my car brand new this time last year and have had absolutely NO problems with it, except for the brakes. At 7,000 miles I noticed that they were starting to squeal...but having SOME mechanical inkling thought there was no way that they could be needing replaced already. Well, after the dealership replaced both front pads they told me it was just a bad brake pad. Being that I live in Pennsylvania I had to take my car in the middle of April for my yearly inspection, at which time I asked them again (worried now about the previous experience) to check my brakes. They told me that everything looked good! So today, 1,500 miles later (now having 15,320 miles on my car & I started having this horrible screeching sound when I would back up) both front brake pads were replaced AGAIN (and I was told that they were worn down to the squealers)!! Thankfully they've been covered under my warranty so it's been no cost out of pocket for me...but what gives?! They have now been replaced 2 times in a matter of about 6 months!!! I NEVER had this problem with my other Subaru (a 2005 Outback). Are the pads just that cheaply made, do they have some deformity in them, or is there possibly something wrong with my car that's causing it to eat through them every 7,000 miles or so??? I mean...covered under my warranty is one thing...but I'm not paying for them out of pocket every couple of months once my warranty is up!! Any thoughts, advice or opinions?? Thanks all!

I have had my 08 Imp since Nov of 07 and have 38K on it..I am still on the original pads. But the cars do have an issue with the rotors warping. I had mine turned once about 12K ago. Have the dealer check for stuck calipers...or try a different dealer..it doesnt matter what Subaru dealer you go to for service. Also dont be afraid to report the problem to SOA. They actually want to hear about stuff like this

They did machine the front rotors when I had it in back in April 2009. It's just frustrating...especially being a female walking into an automotive service center. They automatically assume we don't know anything about vehicles! Thanks for the advice...I'll have to check that out!

Dont play the female game... I happen to be one too so its something I dont sympathies with. Go to a different dealer and never act like you dont know anything. Demand that the problem be fixed... you are in control of the matter. Not them. And like I stated..dont be afraid to contact SOA of the matter. I never let any garage play me for stupid.. but I have a reputation for knowing my crap about cars. I even have guys stop by my house that I dont know wanting to know if I can look at thier Subarus and fix them.

It sounds to me like a caliper is dragging there is no reason for it.. its a new car. they HAVE to fix it. Keep bringing it back even if it is once a week.

Edited by Bucky92