Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Emissions test failure - not ready codes

I didn't get the full explanation.

But it sounds like it thinks codes were cleared in the not too distant past.

I haven't cleared any codes. But I did have the battery disconnected replacing the clock spring to get the Airbag light out.

Since then it has gone 2 trips probably 25-30 miles each.

CEL hasn't been on in the time that I've had it. I fixed a BAD oil leak, clock spring. LR window regulator, etc.

Put new NGK plugs in, changed oil and filter. Has Packard plug wires.

I didn't really know what to search for about getting this to reset. So I didn't find a good procedure.

What's the fastest ways to reset this so that I can hopefully get it retested today?

I think you have to drive about 100 miles total, something like that.

I found this:

"Subaru recommends the following conditions and drive cycle to get the monitors on its vehicles completed in the shortest amount of time:

1. Make sure the fuel tank is between one-quarter and three-quarters full; half a tank is ideal.

2. Start the engine and immediately drive the vehicle for at least 15 minutes at a speed greater than 50 mph. During the warm up, try to avoid sudden acceleration, hard braking and/or lane changes.

3. Drive the vehicle at a steady 55 mph for three more minutes. During this stage of the drive cycle, it's crucial that you keep throttle angle changes to a minimum.

4. Bring the vehicle back to the shop, hook up the scan tool and look at the status of the readiness monitors. Repeat the drive cycle, if necessary."

I've also seen that the coolant must be seen to warm up 20 degrees or so, and hit at least 150 degrees or such.

Dave

Edited by CNY_Dave

I would suggest just going out for a nice "sunday" drive :)

spend an hour or 2 just exploring back roads or something.

Sounds good. Sign me up!

Not a valid option for me unfortunately.

A lot of the reading about putting some miles/cycles on the car scare me a bit. I live in a decently hilly area. They want 30 minutes of 55 mph without the throttle angle changing? What are these engineers? How about a little real world reality please.

A lot of the reading about putting some miles/cycles on the car scare me a bit. I live in a decently hilly area. They want 30 minutes of 55 mph without the throttle angle changing?

You can probably get away with a less exacting drive cycle. See: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3828/is_200511/ai_n15871211/pg_3/

What are these engineers? How about a little real world reality please.

They're the people who design the car while having to contend with EPA regulations, among other things. The drive cycle that includes ''30 minutes of 55 mph without the throttle angle changing'' is suggested for the fastest way to be assured that all the monitors will be ready, but it obviously isn't the only way to accomplish that.

What year is it?

Good question. With all the other recent threads on this topic, I forgot to ask if this one was a '96.

If it happens to be 96 it will never go ready. 96 is exempt from OBD2 in PA. Other years you just have to do the drive cycle.

Well, a '96 can complete the I/M monitors and be ready after a proper drive cycle -- but it won't retain that once the engine is shut off. If the car we're discussing in this thread is '96, see the links in my posts here: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=99635 .

Appreciate all the thoughts.

This is a 99.

I plugged in the green connectors. Went to Sears/Walmart 25 miles away and back.

Dropped it at the inspection garage.

Tomorrow I should find out if it was reset. I didn't think to take my cheap OBDII scanner. Then again with no CEL I haven't had good luck with it finding "pending" issues even when I'm looking for them. Like after swapping O2 sensors with a used one, attempting to fix the wires on an O2 sensor, etc.

the cheap-o OBDII scanners won't detect the monitors i don't think so you didn't loose any time there.

i have never heard of the green test connectors clearing this issue, let us know if it works, i think i'd guess that it wouldn't. but i've lived in a non-emissions state for 3 years now what do i know?