Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 rx good deal?

theres a 87 rx 2dr coupe forsale around here for 1300$ its in good condition except for a few things like the exaust needs some work and the check engine light is on and seatbelt doesnt retract and the clutch doesnt feel like it has to much life left. otherwise its in relly good shape

171000 miles

power windows, door locks

cd player old but works

lsd rear end

ea82 t

5 speed with center diff lock

and dual range

so my question is, is it worth $1300?

In oregon? I would offer $800.. and thats only if it could legally be registered and insured as is... Less if above stated work is needed to make it driveable and/or legal.

Kelley lists it at about 1100 for fair condition.. your decription may actually qualifiy it for poor condition(dependant on clutch condition), in which case, the values are greatly variable..

In my opinion, $1300 is too much

Search the Marketplace, there were a couple RXes that went out here (Northeast) for less than that--and it's a much rarer car here. I'd just wait until the owner came down on the price, then lowball him. 6-900 sounds reasonable. If you were willing to spend 1300, though...stay in the market and you'll find something much nicer.

I guess when I go to sell mine, I won't even waste my time with this board. $1300 is probably the top value with the mileage. Would have to have few oil leaks, and good axles, nice body and decent interior.

They only come up for sale about 5-6 times a year in the Portland Area.

Yea, I think Richie said it. I know a lot of the guys (and maybe gals) here are looking for that incredible deal, like my $70 RX that I drove home and it passed emmisions, it was that deal that made it possible to create UltimateRX. Most of the sells that I have made here on the board, I have lost money on, selling the part for less then it's worth. Sometime to help someone out, other times because I needed to get rid of what I was selling quickly and sold it at a loss. $1300 for an RX is not a bad price, I'm sure LegacyT up in Ottowa would be willing to pay that. If I was selling the car and someone offered me $800, I'd laugh at them and tell them to get the f@%k out of here. There are two books out there that are used to estimate car values, and it is amazing how much different the two books are on exactly the same car. If you are comfortable paying the asking price, then go for it, but don't insult that guy with a rediculous offer.

i don't think that $1300 is too out of line, but if you subtract the cost of a clutch kit and some major exhaust work, you're right around $800 anyway.. of course, depending on the car, "really good shape" could be worth $1500-$1800 if the clutch and exhaust WERE new. But between those and the check engine light (which is probably just a sensor) you could reasonably hope to pay less than $1300.

I think Corky's right.. my first reply was influenced by my own greed hoping to use you as a surrogate for a good deal :D ..

and I should admit that I bought my RX for $700 and it was a beater.. at least one accident w/bad repaint, nasty interior, and funky electrical.. I'll eat my own words (ranch dressing please) and recommend $1100 as a good offer.

We'll get you set on what maintenance you should catch up on first, too, if you buy it. good luck.