Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'82 Subaru GLF Convertible

Say hello to the latest Subie convertible owner! I picked up this one for eight hundred bucks from a used Honda lot in Tampa. It has 89,000 miles on the clock and is a little rough around the edges (cracked windshield, briken tail light and a couple rust holes) but it runs like a top otherwise. It sounds bad a$$ too lol. Nicer than most of the rice-rocket Civics around at any rate. We go to pick it up on Sunday hopefully.

This is the pic of it on CL. I'll have more when I get home tomorrow for y'all. ^_^

3ke3m33l3ZZZZZZZZZ9620df81e5c2be61646.jpg

I have a set of tail lights for one of those, make me an offer! I also have some misc. EA81 parts floating around... I used to have an 83 GL-10 and I liked the look of the GLF tail lights better, so I bought them with the intention of converting it over, and I never did. They are in very good condition, pretty sure they aren't cracked or anything, I will check next time I'm at my parents' house.

Okay, I have the pics now. I'll probably post a lot more as I get work done to it, so you guys'll have the opportunity to see it from all angles.

The front with my buddy standing next to it:

SubieVert004.jpg

The somewhat wonky-looking top with that silly little luggage rack on the runk lid:

SubieVert005.jpg

Somebody decided to do an eight-ball theme on the interior at some point; it's got the shift knob, cigarette lighter and a couple stickers on the windows. >.< Hideously faded seat covers and a dilapidated steering wheel cover are terrible too:

SubieVert006.jpg

Stewie Griffin on the dashboard and the cracked windshield:

SubieVert008.jpg

The sticker on the corner of the windshield says "NORTH CAROLINA 12/95":

SubieVert009.jpg

The Good:

--It's a convertible!

--Analog gauges with only 89,000 miles on the clock

--Runs smooth as silk

--Mean-sounding exhaust, but didn't have any holes in it that I could see

The Bad:

--Rust hole on the back right next to the top

--Rust hole where the driver's seat bolts in

--Trunk won't open

--Top is a little weird in design and execution

--Broken tail light

--A/C won't blow cold air

--Cracked windshield

The Ugly:

--Sorry guys, but those pinstripes gotta go...

--I never really liked the luggage racks on these. That might end up going, particularly since it only has one of the strips on the inside.

--SERIOUSLY need to repaint those wheels :D.

And leave the steering wheel - the four spoke wheels like that are much better than the later two spoke one's.

You have a LOT of work to do. But as stated - don't modify it too much - you have probably *the* most rare EA81 ever made. You will ruin much of it's appeal and value if you start changing things.

GD

As a matter of fact, I'd love 'em. Don't have much money atm, but when I sell my Mazda Millenia I should have enough to do a couple of things to it. And that would most certainly be a good thing to have. I don't need to be getting pulled over for stupid little things like that. Funny you should mention that; I'm looking at LED tail-light bulbs right now.

Edited by tobiasglass

I have seen a few of these convertibles and I can say... that top doesnt look like the right one for the car...sorry to say. something is not right with it. I also wonder what is living in the trunk since it wont open and with it missing the luggage rack strip there will be holes to allow water inside.

Lol good eye. one of the bolts for the frame that holds the middle of the top up is gone. Just have to stick a nut and bolt there and it'll have the proper shape again. :D

That did cross my mind about the holes in the deck lid, but I looked under it, and the bottom end isn't rusty. -crosses fingers- Anyone know how I could get in and open it?

I am not just talking about the area where it sinks...the lines on the rear section do not look right. All the others I have seen have a lower roof line...and on the side...its covering the striping you dont like. Granted these were manufactered here in the states..AFTER the car was imported by 2 places...one in NJ and the other in Cali. As for the trunk area.. I am still curious. I know the undercoating on the car can hide alot. I happen to have a west coast 98% rust free coupe and I have trunk rot from the rear rack leaking. I have the full complete one also. I vote for relpacing if you can.. I just restored the wood and everything on mine and it looks beautiful:

LBsRestore002.jpg

and here is mine. It doesnt look like this right now as it is being stripped down and being fully restored..trying to have it ready for paint in the fall so it will be unvailed next spring in time for the car show curciut. It missed this year with an electrical problem. But this is in original condition. But I like seeing people fixing these cars..they are so rare to begin with and getting even more rare everyday. ( note..thats Darlingchips EJ22 Brat and hatchsubs 83 sedan)

Carlisle2008062.jpg

Edited by Bucky92

Please don't believe too much of what one guy says.

THere are air dams out there. They don't come up often. It would look great - good luck and I hope you find one.

This car is NOT a Subaru factory car its been modified by one of 2 companies that did these for US Dealers. There were more or less 50 made on each coast. Go wild !

Im going to be the 1st one to say. It is your car and do what you wish. Buttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt like its been statted that is a rare car. It would be like takeing a 1980s extended cab chevy truck and going mudding with it. Yea rare car. Looks like its in decent shape though. Take good care of it.

Ben

• 1 year later...