Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What drivetrain?

That parts availability list sucks :eek: but Im sure there are some of those parts available in the aftermarket...

I pulled a head off a post-80 block today, and did some other lookin and comparisons, and here is what I have found:

Post-80 and pre-80 heads are the same. Nothing is different, they are identical.

The Post-80 block had the same flat top pistons in it that I have new in the box, so IDK whats up with that, I didnt look to see if the Pre-80 motor had the flat tops too or not, but the 1400 Also had flat tops :-\ so my compression ratio may not be as high as I thought, but with the small cc of the 1400 heads and the shaving of the block, it will still be high :banana:

The 1400 bores are considerably smaller diameter than the 1600. Now, this creates a problem. While the heads do physically fit on the 1600 blocks (I test-fit both a pre-80 and post-80), due to the smaller bores of the 1400, the coolant passages are NOT lining up. They are in the same orientation, but the pattern is smaller than the 1600.

With a little dremel/machining, i think the passages can be made to line up, but I am concerned with taking off too much metal and creating weak points, which would not hold under the higher compression. Once this obstacle has been solved though, the heads are a bolt on affair.

If I had a digital camera, I would take pics, my phone won't cut it for this stuff, Ill take some pics and post all this up when I get a chance.

-Bill

The 1400 bores are considerably smaller diameter than the 1600. Now, this creates a problem. While the heads do physically fit on the 1600 blocks (I test-fit both a pre-80 and post-80), due to the smaller bores of the 1400, the coolant passages are NOT lining up. They are in the same orientation, but the pattern is smaller than the 1600.

With a little dremel/machining, i think the passages can be made to line up, but I am concerned with taking off too much metal and creating weak points, which would not hold under the higher compression. Once this obstacle has been solved though, the heads are a bolt on affair.

If I had a digital camera, I would take pics, my phone won't cut it for this stuff, Ill take some pics and post all this up when I get a chance.

-Bill

By not lining up, you mean not the same size, or slightly "off" in terms of position? I recall the ports not being exactly the same on the heads vs. the shortblocks even with the EA71 heads. If the EA71 headgasket fits on the 1400 heads without actually blocking any of the coolant passages, then we should be fine.

Are both of the shortblock width's the same?

Edited by Kostamojen

I guess its hard to explain without pics, but everything on the 1400 head is just, smaller. The ports are the same size, the the pattern around the combustion chamber is smaller because of the smaller bores, and the head itself is about 1/4" smaller all around then the 1600 head. The head bolt holes line up perfectly, and the heads fit the blocks, i did a test fit to be sure, but the coolant passages are not aligning perfectly, they arent completely blocked, but they need to be opened up some to line up. Ill borrow a friends camera this week and show you, its kinda hard to explain without pics

Other than that, the EA63 block, pre-80 EA71 and post-80 EA71 are all the same dimensions (except the 1400 has less girth to it due to the small bores), the only difference on the post 80 motor I can see is that it has an EA81 style waterpump with internal coolant crossover, and the pre 80 block is essentially a bigger version of the 1400, same waterpump, same coolant passage, etc.

-Bill

I guess its hard to explain without pics, but everything on the 1400 head is just, smaller. The ports are the same size, the the pattern around the combustion chamber is smaller because of the smaller bores, and the head itself is about 1/4" smaller all around then the 1600 head. The head bolt holes line up perfectly, and the heads fit the blocks, i did a test fit to be sure, but the coolant passages are not aligning perfectly, they arent completely blocked, but they need to be opened up some to line up. Ill borrow a friends camera this week and show you, its kinda hard to explain without pics

Do the coolant passages look the same as these pics? http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showpost.php?p=830229&postcount=17

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, finally got my laptop fixed and uploaded pics a couple days ago, so here is some more in-depth pics and details. All the pics can be found here http://s130.photobucket.com/albums/p241/87monster/

Here's a 1600 head on the left with a 1400 dual port head on the right

IMG_1635.jpg

This is the 1400 dual port head mounted on a Post-'80 1600 block. Note how small the head is compared to the mounting surface

IMG_1640.jpg

This is the 1600 headgasket on top of the 1400 headgasket. You can see how much smaller the bores of the 1400 are compared to the 1600. You can also see the coolant passages arent quite lining up

IMG_1634.jpg

Here's the 1600 headgasket on the 1400 Dual Port head. Again, you can see the difference in the coolant ports.

IMG_1642.jpg

Here's my EA71 Dual Carb manifold with stock carbs. Im going to go to single barrel Webers when I get it built, brand new they are less than 150 each and I might be able to get a wicked discount if I play my cards right

IMG_1648.jpg

Here is the stock 1400 manifold, I polished this up a bit and put it on my Brat with a Weber 32/36. This is before I did that

IMG_1646.jpg

The bar code from the Fat Case bellhousing

IMG_1662.jpg

The fat case bellhousing itself

IMG_1659.jpg

the 1400 headgasket on a 1600 head

IMG_1658.jpg

I have a full set of these, but I guess they arent JDM, all the motors I have heads off of have these pistons in them...

IMG_1654.jpg

And here's the 1400 manifold polished up a bit and installed in my Brat with the Weber

06-25-09_2009.jpg

-Bill

Whats that dimple/hole in the middle? EA71 pistons are just flat, no hole like that.

I dont know, but I have 2 motors with those pistons, ones a post 80 and ones a pre 80, and Id be willing to bet I have a couple other motors that have those pistons, and I have 2 more of those pistons but oversized still new in the box... They are all EA71s, Ive seen both the flat smooth ones and the ones with the raised center and dimples...

On a side note, my 1400 has flat-tops as well...

-Bill

• 3 weeks later...

Wow I've been away from the board for a while. Just was catching up on some threads and noticed that Kostamojen posted a pic of my souped-up EA71 with the modified 1400 heads in this thread sometime last month.

Just wanted to let you all know that if you are souping up a gen 1 engine and are interested in some of the parts from that engine they are for sale. The good stuff from that engine are those crazy heads, and those domed high compression pistons (made by Arias). In addition, The intake from that engine is also for sale. It has been modified to still deliver coolant to the block even though the intake (fuel) portion of it is no longer used. Everything else from that engine is scrap or is easily replaced.

Yes I had planned to hot-rod an EA71, but now I am just happy having a solid running brat.

• 1 year later...