Ultimate Subaru Message Board

can i convert ea82 gear in a hatch?

at a quick glance i seen mpfi 2.2 full time awd, all ajustments are computer controled. i worked at six states drine train in the driveline dept., so spliceing slip/spline/yoke issues i think i can get i grip on. as for matching two cv joints...mabey. the nuts and bolts of motor mounts and cross members would be a great help from anyone that has done this with sucsess. all advice is welcome......thanks, ken

The EJ22 would have a 25 spline inner joint for the CV axles on the transmission. You just use the EA81 axles and swap out the inner joint for one from a 2WD legacy axle I believe. The engine cross-member needs the holes for the motor mounts slotted outward about 1/2". The tranny cross-member has to be modified to accept the EJ tranny - just some welding and fitting. Not a huge deal.

Mechanically it can work - electrical is the biggest hurdle, and really that's not all that hard either.

GD

cool...thats good news! my father owned a tv repair shop in the 70's and i dabble with audio/vidio pc boards, but ecu stuff is so sensitive im spooked. ill need a lot of help after the shoe horning is done.also... is there a man. 5spd....like the dual range in my hatch for this unit? any thoughts? ken

also... is there a man. 5spd....like the dual range in my hatch for this unit? any thoughts? ken
'

There are manual 5 speed's - they are All-Wheel-Drive, not 4 wheel drive, and they are not dual-range.

There are several folks on here that make adaptor plates to adapt the EJ22 to the 5 speed D/R or the 4 speed D/R such as you have in the hatch. It requires some swapping of clutch parts for the 4 speed and a redrilled EA82 flywheel to mount on the EJ22 crank nose. Cost is around $200 for the adaptor and having the flywheel redrilled (after you obtain one).

GD

the legacy will be aaa'd home soon, i can't wait! very excited. it wouldnt start after the crash..about 2 wks. ago...pushed the first front 6" to the right. seems the rad is still intact. not that bad mech., but body is unrepairable. $50 seemed reasonable. thanks, ken...i love this site.