Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I put the fuse in the FWD holder because of a bumping noise when I backed up. Noise quit and I removed the fuse. Took the car to the shop and they found the rear transmission mount broke. Had the mount replaced but now the AWD will not engage.

The shop does not work on transmission so they took my car to a transmission place and they said the solenoid was stuck and to drive the car a couple of days with the fuse in and hopefully the solenoid would come loose and AWD would engage. If not then they would have to go in and replace the solenoid. Does that sound good or is there some thing I can check? Or should I presssure flush the transmission first?

98 Legacy, L, Auto.

Check the last thread after searching with, "AWD, noises." This may be informative. Trasmission flush on any automatic is well worth the money at any time because it changes ALL the fluid.

Noises can be the most aggravating and expensive things to eliminate. The biggest problem, to preach to the choir, is to find the source of the noise which usually makes the cause obvious. Mechanics and shops can make lotsa bucks on noises because it will ALWAYS take a lot of time to find the source. One does NOT have to be a mechanic to find noise sources, only reasonably intelligent but absolutely persistent and dedicated. YOU find the source and let the reputable and competent mechanic find the CAUSE and eliminate it.

I have always threatened to use a microphone-amplifier-headphone setup to isolate pesky, hard to find noises but always found them using other methods: other people, either to drive or listen; other people to either drive or to listen or watch as I drive by. You get the idea.

Sorry if I told you how to build a clock after you asked the time! Let us know what you find.