Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone ever broke off a brake pedal?

Wife came home from her mail route with the 97 Legacy Postal RHD and told me the brake pedal felt funny. She said the pedal felt wobbly, not the brakes, the pedal.

Sure enough, she went to show me, by reaching down and wiggling it, and it came off in her hand. Not the rubber pad, but the pad and the flat piece the pad was mounted to. Looks like the metal simply rotted away where the flat part mounted to the lever. I am assuming a factory weld there.

Looks like I have to attempt to fix it this weekend.

Have not figured out how yet. Maybe with my stick welder, hopefully not setting the car opn fire. I hate to think what I would have to do to remove it from the car.............

And I would not trust JB weld, with 650 stops a day..............

i think i might take the car to a subaru delaer to show them whats up, they might take a case and if there are others, then maybe a recall is needed.

They will want to see this as for a safety issue. I bet they might fix it for free and such, since it a safety issue and this is not supposed to happen

ah the wear and tear of a postal delivery car, yeah 650 stop a day, that will take its toll. RHD is cool but whatever, be safe

You can remove the pedal box fairly easily. unbolt the steering column and let it drop to the floor. Unhook all of the pedal attachments and then unbolt the pedal box and slide it out over the column. You may have to take the drivers seat out to get a little more room, but you will have alot more room to work with when you are trying to weld the pedal back together. If you want a complete pedal box, I have one. I could overnight it to you, but that might be kind of expensive. Let me know if I can help you out.

Mike

Guess I should mention there is 184,000 miles on it, and it is in NY the Rust Capitol of the world..................

Rust really should be an issue here, it's not an exterior part. The plate shouldn't ever brake off of the pedal no matter how many miles are on it. A proper weld is stronger then the base metal around it and should not break from the comparatively meager strength of the human leg.

I agree with bheinen74, take it to Subaru. They will want to see that, and you stand a good chance of having it replaced for free.

Pulled it out yesterday and welded it back together.

pedal itself was paper thinn.

Had to build it up with some extra metal from the back side.

I am not looking forward to trying to put it back in place though........