Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HG leaking oil/coolant > Steering Rack Leak

Hello All. The good, my brother gave me his 2000 limited OBW w/ 145K 2.5. The bad, it leaks lots of oil has a bad HG (its an external coolant leak). When I pulled the motor I also found out it has 2 bad axel boots split wide open and a bad inner tie rod boot. The questions

1) Can the 2.5 leak oil from the HG? The oil this thing leaks is crazy. Its not the rocker cover and I am 99% sure its not the oil pan.

2) Can I just replace the axle boots? I drove the car and there was no clicking.

3) Can the axle throw so much grease out of the boot and cover the steering linkage to make you think the rack is leaking?

post-17361-13602763374_thumb.jpg

post-17361-136027633746_thumb.jpg

post-17361-136027633751_thumb.jpg

Edited by msmithmmx
More Info

If your unsure of what is leaking (engine wise) I would hop under there and clean everything off pretty well... The 2.5 HG can definitely leak oil..The oil leak could also be the separator plate... Usually the outer CV will click not the inner DOJ however it isn't uncommon to hear some drive ability noises associated with a bad inner DOJ, the hundreds of split DOJ boots Ive replaced, If you don't hear anything Personally I would just replace the boots...There not to expensive or difficult...There is a possibility that the Grease from the inner DOJ boot can get onto the inner rack end because of the hole in the engine cradle for the P/S lines.....I had a small leak coming down by the jacking plate and dripping onto the steering rack on my 96 Legacy...It ended up being the Drivers side rear cam cap seal...and It kind of looked like the rack was leaking to me also...Anyways If I where you I would replace both axle boots and clean off the engine and hop back under there in a few days and see what you wind up with...

• 3 weeks later...

While fixing all of the things wrong with this car. I noticed some power steering fluid wet around the rack. Question. Should the shaft that goes in and out of the rack to turn the tires be coated in ps fluid? The passenger side shaft is wet and the driver side is dry. The pass side inner tie rood boot is wet inside with fluid.

the inside of the steering rack boots should be dry...if your noticing the boot swollen up with fluid or fluid leaking out of the boot im thinking your rack is leaking...the main reason that boot is there is to keep the inner tie rod joint protected from road grime, salt, dirt etc etc not to retain fluid.. have you noticed loss of PS fluid?

Thanks for the reply. The inside of the passenger side boot is a little wet but it was not connected on to the rack so it was open for road grim and water. I think the rack now is fine. I wipped it down and have not seen and leaks in the past couple days. I brother said he never needed to add PS fluid.