Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Could use some help if anybody has seen this before. I bought a 97 Outback for my son from a supposed Subaru mechanic who had just swapped a 2.5L for a 2.2L. It drives and runs great but I found out the check engine light was burnt out so I changed it and now it stays on. Checked and now getting code P0106. I read about the missing vacuum lines that other people who swapped motors ran into, went to a junkyard and put those on correctly but still no luck. I cleared the code but it comes right back. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Marc

Thanks. I don't know if the code was there before or not. Like I said, I didn't swap the motors. I checked the vacuum lines that I installed carefully and they looked good. Any tricks to testing/looking for small cracks? I guess my next try would be the baro sensor. The are 2 units that the vacuum lines are connected to on the strut tower, one is black (which I think is the baro sensor?) and one is a orange/rust color. Can you tell me which is which?

If the vacuum hoses look okay, fit snugly, and aren't clogged, they probably are not the cause of the code.

The black part (nearest the fender) is the baro sensor, and the other is the ''pressure sources switching solenoid valve''. There should be an emissions label on the underside of the hood, which would show the parts and vacuum hose routing. Note that in the thread I linked to, the last post stated ''fixed problem, took barometic pressure sensor, from car i took, motor from, they were slightly different from 95 to 97,''. You might try to get a baro sensor for an EJ22 of the era of the engine that was installed. If you're getting parts from a JY, might as well pick up the solenoid valve as well.

EDIT: If you haven't already seen this, it might also provide some insight: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=84813

Edited by OB99W
Added reference to a past thread

Found 2 vacuum lines crossed. Kinda fooled because it was running so good but no more codes.

Yes, that was one of the solutions mentioned in the thread of the second link I gave.

Thanks

Congrats, you're welcome, glad to help.