Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 73' Coupe Restoration

• 5 weeks later...

Man, this coupe' was turning out awesome. You really put the time into and have my respect! It is a total shame you had to get out of it, but I know all about that too well. Hopefully, the car will turn up on here again, would like to see the finished product, and know all this effort wasn't wasted.

All the best!

-Tom

• 1 month later...

I have officially turned the corner. Engine compartment, doors/hinges, and some other small items have color! Next is to finish the front valence and rear taillight panel then the shell can get color. As long as I can get the shell done by the end of June, I should be on track to debut this at JCCS.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the compliments! Kind of tossed as to whether I will put up any more progress pics or just do a pic dump after JCCS. Maybe just a couple more teasers to keep you wanting more! LOL. The car is going back together pretty good. The slow going is mainly due to the Polaroids I took having faded, along with my memory. And the pics in the factory service manuals are not always clear. Since the last pic I posted I have reinstalled the rear suspension, front suspension, engine and trans, fenders, dash frame and wiring harness amongst other smaller items. Goal is to have it moving under it's own power again in 2 weeks (hopefully nothing happened to the engine whilst it slept) and pretty much assembled by the end of July. I already have a date at my upholstery guy to drop it off the 1st week of August. I plan to paint the hood and finish the bodywork on the trunk lid while it is getting fresh threads. Hey Bantum, if you would like to donate for me to paint the inside, I will do it. If I had enough I would have done it, but I only have enough to finish what I have! Paint is expensive! (and time consuming). Steve (Kosta), I see you stopped back in. I told you your FF1 would get done before mine.

To update, over the last couple weeks I managed to get the drivetrain dropped back in and hooked up. Today it roared back to life after sitting in the garage for 6 years. Amazingly after priming the carb, it stared on the 1st crank! Downside is the radiator started leaking (didn't leak before) and the carb still has some issues and the acc. pump probably dried up. Well, at least once I button up a few things on the front end and put the wheels on, it will be able to move under it's own power. Hope to get the front end stuff sorted and off the jackstands this weekend along with installing the doors and adjusting the fenders.

bJky4E.jpg

• Like 3

why did you relocated the battery?????

Because racecar.

LOL

Actually, I did it because I removed the battery tray to abate some rust before it ate through. Since it was removed and I planned to use a dry cell battery AND I did not replace the spare tire carrier after the cowl repairs it just looked like the perfect place for it.

And racecar. :lol:

Mark