Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bolt-in EA series Alternator upgrade. Nissan Maxima alt installation guide.

• 2 weeks later...
So I was going to do this for the hatch over the past weekend after a successful visit to the PnP. I don't think the Maximom alternator is going to clear the Hitachi setup.

This can only mean one thing: Weber. :)

VERY GOOD INFO< THIS MOD WONT WORK WITH THe STOCK AIR CLEANER BOX/HITACHI.....the kidney bean thing is too large and in the way

note to others...took 3 pages of threads for some real info. thanks TheYeti.

Grinding down that spacer could be a pain in the butt though. I know it probally sounds stupid but would a stack of washers do the same job.

It probably would work fine, (washers). This is an excellent post. Is it incorrect to think this would work on an ea82 also? I have some aux lighting and it would be good to ask for a lesser percentage of the maximum rating of the stock 55 amp. I had been eyeballing the 100 amp in my Jeep... but this is such a nice slam dunk. Now I have another reason to go wander the yards... :)

It probably would work fine, (washers). This is an excellent post. Is it incorrect to think this would work on an ea82 also? I have some aux lighting and it would be good to ask for a lesser percentage of the maximum rating of the stock 55 amp. I had been eyeballing the 100 amp in my Jeep... but this is such a nice slam dunk. Now I have another reason to go wander the yards... :)

It'll work fine on the EA82's. Somewhere in this post, GD said many EA81 replacements are EA82 anyway. You may even have the pulley needed on your stocker. :banana:

It WILL fit an EA81 with the stock carb and air cleaner. The only place it hits is the air cleaner bracket and you can grind or file the 1/8" off the ear to get the clearance needed to tighten the belt. This is the EA81 that I put in the wifes 87' EA82.

Ed

Ive seen Ed's car, and he has a stock EA81 with stock EA81 manifold on it, with a Maxima alternator and a home rigged power steering bracket. It all works quite nicely, he did mention having to grind/file down a little off the ear of the alt to clear the air cleaner...

I myself am partial to the GM alt swap, I have a parts guy that gets em to me for less than cost, and it took about 15 minutes to mount it, using one of those chrome adjuster bars for a small block chevy that I offset just a bit. With the GM swap any autoparts store will have one in stock, they were the same unit from the 60's all the way to the late 80's.

The Maxima swap is the perfect, bolt-in, minimal modification needed swap for the DIY'er, or the novice car-tinkerer lookin to upgrade his charging system.

-Bill

• 1 month later...

Depends on what you have access to and are comfortable with. I've done both and I would rather just use the Nissan - no fuss with mounting it and it keeps my Japanese car using Japanese parts. I get em cheap in the junk yards and they seem quite reliable. Not much more expensive than a comparable GM alt in the aftermarket either.

GD

• 2 months later...
I am going to have to try this. I was going to do the GM alt swap but this seems to be a lot less fuss. Now I just need to find a Maxima to get one of these off of. Also will need to find a EA-82 alt so I can get the spacer too.

Richard

If you can't find one, let me know. I'll have one for sale shortly. I have to make a spacer for the pulley but I have a nice maxima alt that I pulled about a week ago. Probably be about $125 ready to drop in.

GD

Weird it shows the Ea82 motor with a serpentine belt pulley.

Yeah - that's not the right picture. I'm not sure what that goes to but it's not an EA82T. Might be an XT6 alt but even at that it doesn't look right.

And just because it's got a multi-rib pulley does NOT mean it runs a serpentine belt. Multi-rib belts are generally *used* in serpentine applications but

there are many applications that don't as well - look at the EJ22's for example - multi-rib yes - serpentine no.

GD