Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bolt-in EA series Alternator upgrade. Nissan Maxima alt installation guide.

Just for the record, those wondering if the Altima alternator will fit an EA82:

EA82 and EA81 alternators are pretty much the same. They are 100% interchangeable, Ive done it I dont know how many times. The ONLY differences were wether or not the cars had AC or PS, then the pulleys had different spacing and/or multiple V-belt grooves. So Yes, this mod will work on an EA82 just fine, you just might need a different spacer for the pulley to make the grooves line up perfectly.

-Bill

Hey,

Nice upgrade on the alt. I've wondered about this. I bought an 86 GL-10 and it had this

picture.php?albumid=162&pictureid=1901

in it. Along with all the other multi rib stuff that goes with it. Weird thing is, on that tag it's printed, "86 T". That's on the silver square, black letters, on the green tag. The car is a 86 turbo wagon.

Doug

Edited by Quidam

I would say the engine in your turbo wagon was replaced with one from a turbo XT. Only the XT's got the MPFI and MPFI-Turbo engines with multi-rib pulley's. Even the '90 Loyale RS Turbo was still using v-belts.

Perhaps someone with an FSM can tell us if the XT's alternator was stiill 55A like the EA82T's in the rest of the body styles.

I suspect it's rated the same they just had to switch to the multi-rib pulley and clearances with that belt arrangment dictated an enclosed-fan case. Looks very similar to the Maxima alt but a bit smaller as well as thinner in the mounting ears.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

• 1 month later...

Yea i noticed just now on rockauto the alts for the maxima are seemingly cheeper then there subaru brotheran. Definately a great upgrade to get some of that pesky interior electrical noises at bay.

Any word on how this reacts with the factory ac in place. I should just rip it out because it doesnt work. Its all there and holds pressure but not charged.

picture.php?albumid=52&pictureid=922

Edited by The Dude Abides

SOOOO

after reading this whole thread... will the nissan alt fit my 86 XT non turbo with factory A/C(no not removing that, hey it's florida, its stinking hot)

grammar and sentence structure depleting it's 3:30 am and i work at 8

picard facepalm:lol:

As far as I know, no one has tried it with a multi-rib setup - you can be the first.

GD

O joy! lol alright im off to the junkyard today.

how can i go wrong with only spending 20 bucks total?

but I really want to thank you GD for the phenomenal idea.

Edited by rpholz
i spelt "wrong" "run" wtf?

No problem. It wasn't *really* my idea. The speculation that they might fit came from a member that was formerly into Datsun Z cars - the Maxima alt is a popular upgrade for them and they happen to use an almost identical alt to the EA's. It wasn't hard to do the math after seeing pictures of all three (EA, Z-Car, Maxima) - then it was just a matter of trying it out.

GD

O joy! lol alright im off to the junkyard today.

how can i go run with only spending 20 bucks total?

XT's have multi-ribbed belts.

They may have the proper pulley for you to use.

And yes, had I not already done the GM swap, I would have done this one.

Much thanks to GD for the info.

Twitch

so, no go thus far because i am moving a 100 miles north and since i am transfering i only have like 1 night to move so i've been packing and such.

i should take a pic of the XT tho because of how bad it is squating from all the crap in it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, so my alternator is fried and i have a 85 XT Turbo FWD. My alternator is actually a different size than ones found off of other ea82's (as I found out the hard way at the junkyard today) I pulled a Maxima alternator though and bought one, looks brand new.

MY question: Can I swap out the mounting brackets from the other ea82's to make the Maxima one fit, or to be able to buy a cheaper ea82 alternator (mine costs around 200$ rebuilt) ? I also have A/C and power steering so I don't know if it will work, but I'm mainly concerned of getting her off the side of the road and driving it home.

Anyways I will try this tomorrow, will let you XT owners know if it works or doesn't work - hoping the other brackets will bolt up, don't see why Subaru made two different alternators for the same engine.

A quick update.... I tried getting brackets off a legacy with an ea82 with A/C and PS.. It bolts right up to my compressor and block on my 85 XT.

Now I need to decide whether I should swap my old pulley on there or get a larger belt? My old pulley is 3/8-1/2 shorter in diameter (both are the 4 ribbed style which is what the rest of my pulleys have).

Would the smaller style pulley damage the alternator due to the gear ratio being different? I'm worried it will make the RPMs in the alternator go too high when i am in high RPMs. Then again trying to track down a different size belt isn't going to be easy i think.

Any recommendations?

Belts are no problem - you can get ribbed belts in any size you want. Just look around online for a guide to measureing them and you'll be able to generate a part number for the belt based on it's dimentions.

The 1/2" diameter difference is no concern really. That just means it turns a bit slower (larger diameter on the Maxima alt right?). As long as it's sufficiently fast for it to make enough current for your draw at idle it will be fine.

GD