Ultimate Subaru Message Board

UPDATE 7/12: Brat Rebuild Progress: Halo Stripes

is that new carpet? It looks good :banana:

Nope, its the original. Took it out, scrubbed it with a brush and hot soapy water then power washed the crap out of it. Let it dry then treat it to a few good applications of SEM Interior Dye.

I was hoping it was new carpet and you new where to get some. Mine is starting to show male pattern baldness, LOL.

I would like to thank you, I think I am going to work on my brat now. It needs some TLC (not as much as yours did, no cancer in mine). I got the pug wheels the other day now I need to order a lift and some lugnut and I can start. Also thanks on the SEM color because that duplicrap is not even close on color.

Xtreme - there is a place called www.stockinteriors.com that the AMC guys used to use for their carpeting on odd cars. They have molded, period-correct carpeting for everything from 50's and 60's on up to Imprezas.

They don't have a listing for a BRAT, but mine will need new carpets (a previous owner cut a 3' wide hole in the carpet at the passenger footwell) so I sent them a request for carpeting for mine. If we can get enough people, maybe they'll simply develop a kit for the BRAT so we can order it and not worry.

(Same may be true of other models as well)

Can I get a quick rundown on how you did the speaker mounts and if you were able to use the stock speaker grilles afterwards? I'm not looking to do anything on the scale you are, but I've got 1.3 speakers working in mine right now and would like to take care of that. It looks pretty straightforward, but if there were any gotchas in doing it I'd really like to know in advance. Also, if you found replacements for the tweeters that actually fit in those tiny spaces, I'd love to know what you used.

Great job, BTW. I'm really looking forward to seeing it once it hits 100%.

thank guys, sorry about taking over your thread but why does nobody do Subaru stuff? I know when I lived up north they were popular cars.

As with anything, it's just a matter of getting enough people to express interest. It's not that noone does it because they hate Subarus, it's just that there may or may not be enough demand to justify the R&D.

I'm putting in a request with ACC also. It certainly won't hurt to request it from more than one company.

Can I get a quick rundown on how you did the speaker mounts and if you were able to use the stock speaker grilles afterwards? I'm not looking to do anything on the scale you are, but I've got 1.3 speakers working in mine right now and would like to take care of that. It looks pretty straightforward, but if there were any gotchas in doing it I'd really like to know in advance. Also, if you found replacements for the tweeters that actually fit in those tiny spaces, I'd love to know what you used.

Great job, BTW. I'm really looking forward to seeing it once it hits 100%.

I think I have a pic or 2 posted on flickr that shows the door speaker mods.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26905545@N07/sets/72157605926523746/detail/?page=7

Pretty simple. Find the speakers you want to use. I went with a pair of 6" Kenwoods. Fit them up to the original metal mounting plate. You'll be able to trace their outline and then cut out the humps and bends that interfere with the speakers mounting flat. I used a 90 degree die grinder and cutoff wheel and cleaned them up with tin snips. I used one snap grommet between the mounting plate and the door to shim the assembly out just far enough to permit proper window actuation. I used grommets only because I was running really low on flat washers at the time. :lol: The trick is using washers/grommets/etc with just enough thickness to permit window operation. If you do that the stock speaker grilles work. I had to use a utility knife on the lower door panel at the speaker opening to clip about 1/2" off around the new speaker center horn so the door panel snapped onto the door and didn't block the tweeter cone. Hope this helps. If not let me know and I'll get you some detailed pics. Oh, while you're there run new/better speaker wire. I went with 16 ga. If you're using the stock radio you can probably get away with stock wiring. And no, I didn't do any smaller tweeters or cones in the dash. I just made my door speakers my front channel. I have truck box speakers behind the seats for the rear channel.

Edited by ettev

Got brave and installed the halo stripes today. The film I used is the kind that goes on dry. Needless to say they are a ROYAL P.I.T.A. to get on looking half way decent.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26905545@N07/sets/72157605926523746/detail/?page=10

Pooparu did an excellent job fabricating them and I'd recommend his work highly. NOTE: the film was not Pooparu's so don't think he uses that dry set stuff. I wanted snow camo and found a film supplier that sent Pooparu the film to be cut.

One more decal that I'm having Pooparu cut for me out of the same snow camo dry set film. I'm doing a military star with a broken circle around it right in the middle of the hood. I'll post when that's on.

obINVSTAR_t.jpg

OK, now for an opinion request. I'm going to take the Pug alloys down to bare metal and refinish them. What color? Dark graphite? Black? I do have a set of Pug accent stripes to go back on if I go with a lighter color. I really like the sounds of black.

Opinions please.

Edited by ettev

Great work. I wish I could have been there doing that stuff and learning that car inside and out. What would you recommend if someone were to completely change out the blue interior? Is there a special paint to buy that would work well with the plastic? Seat covers are easy for the seats of course.

Boy, a complete color change is tough using spray dye. You're better of finding a good "donor" interior at a junk yard in the color you want. I think there were only 3 interior colors: grey, blue and tan. But if you want to try it get SEM interior dye. It covers better than any other interior dye. You' ll need about six cans to do it right. Maybe eight.

http://semproducts.com/Catalog.asp?prod=242

Edited by ettev