Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clicking noise 2002 Legacy (front end)

I have a 2002 Legacy gt with an automatic transmission. It has a terrible clicking noise coming from the front end while under acceleration (not while turning left or right). I have had it into the shop three times and was told it was the struts and cv joints on the axles. Got both the struts and axles replaced, made no difference at all, still clicks like crazy, I can feel it in the steering wheel while it clicks. I was then told the transmission mounts need to be replaced and that the transmission is loose in the mounts and causing the noise. I have to say that I'm losing my faith in these people since I have already dropped a bunch of money into the car with zero results. I have taken it to three different shops and they all say something different, some people have no idea at all. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Could be many things.

Is it a single click, or a repeating click?

Does it ever click under braking?

Does the click go away if accelerating with the wheels turned?

Any clicking in reverse?

Does it click if you put in the FWD fuse in the fusebox under the hood?

Dave

It is a repeating click that increases with speed. It only clicks while going straight, and stops clicking while turning left or right. Only makes the noise under acceleration and stops immediately if I let off the gas. Doesn't click while applying the brakes.

I had it in the dealer yesterday and they thought it was a wheel bearing but finally admitted they were not totally sure. Took it to a local shop today and they dug into it for hours and finally came up with the front steering assembly. They claim the inner tie-rods are loose and rattling in the steering assembly. I honestly don't know what to think, five different shops and five different answers, getting frustrating and expensive to keep throwing parts at it hoping it will solve the problem.

Tie-rods, ball-joints, and wheel bearings can be completely checked and ruled out by a decent mechanic.

I can see clunks coming from the mounts, but a clicking seems less likely.

How much to the side do you have to steer to make it stop- a tiny bit off center, or more of a real turn?

When you feel it in the steering wheel, does it want to knock the wheel back and forth a tiny bit, or it's non-directional?

You may need to have someone stand on the left (and then the right) side of the car and listen while you accellerate.

Dave

Oh, and the incredibly 'silly' stuff to check/invesigate:

It could be a wheel that doesn't seat right (lots of corrosion build up), although this would probably be noticed.

It could be the exhaust tapping under the car somewhere, but only when the engine moves a bit because it is putting out a fair bit of torque. The engine probably moves a small bit differently when turning, so it's feasible the noise would only be there while going straight.

Dave