Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Will any 4EAT fit? I'm afraid mine is toast after towing it almost 100 miles on a tow dolly with the FWD fuse in place and having an almost dead battery. There is a 93 Legacy at the local Pull A Part and I was wondering if it had a 4EAT?

According to Wikipedia:

"Usage: 1988-1991 Subaru XT, 1990-2004 Subaru Legacy, 1992-1997 Subaru Alcyone SVX, and all Subarus 1995-Present"

So does this mean the 93 Legacy AT will match up?

I really don't want to give up on this car...

that "definition" you posted is just a general note about the 4EAT transmission, which has gone through numerous changes.

the 93 legacy trans will bolt up and is identical in shape/form.

the 93 legacy will be the wrong final drive for your 98 OBW - it'll be a 4.11 where yours is a 4.44.

that being said, if you can use it if you grab a 4.11 rear differential to match.

those are two different generations, so i'm not positive but i'm pretty sure it will swap. i know someone has done this before, hopefully they post. or you can search for some threads here, i've seen it before regarding this exact swap.

best choice, 96 - 98 outback

second best, 96 - 98 legacy GT or LSi, the speedo will be slightly off.

third best, 96 - 98 legacy L or LS, you will need the rear diff as well.

in a nutshell, any trans from a lego 96 - 98 with a 2.5L engine will work fine.

if it's from a 2.2L lego, you will need the rear diff too.

Or you can take the transfer clutch pack an housing from the 93 and put it on your 98 to fix the smoked clutch pack, if it is actually burnt. Put a motor in it first and see if you trashed the transfer clutch pack or not. The car will still drive fine, it may just have torque bind.