Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rx Rotors and pads

Hey guys, I am about to replace front/rear rotors and pads on my 87 Rx. I was wondering if there is any tips I need to know, any info would be great I'm a noob when it comes to rotors and pads.

The front caliper pistons need to be rotated in clockwise.

You can get the universal square jobby from any parts store, or get the brake kit from a Tool store.

Sigh, Alright I have checked all the places near me for 87 Subaru rx Rotors, I have bought some a couple times and had to take them back because they don't fit (bolts don't line up, they are vented when mine are solid). I have checked the forums and nothing so far, does anyone know a place in northern cali that sells rotors for my car? Or even a web site that has the right ones. I have ordered some from a local riebes, but I have a feeling they will be the wrong ones. Has anyone ever heard of my car being refered to as a 1800? I hear it all the time every time I call a local parts store, I'm looking for stock ones, don't plan on spending money for the sloted till I convert them.

Sigh, Alright I have checked all the places near me for 87 Subaru rx Rotors, I have bought some a couple times and had to take them back because they don't fit (bolts don't line up, they are vented when mine are solid). I have checked the forums and nothing so far, does anyone know a place in northern cali that sells rotors for my car? Or even a web site that has the right ones. I have ordered some from a local riebes, but I have a feeling they will be the wrong ones. Has anyone ever heard of my car being refered to as a 1800? I hear it all the time every time I call a local parts store, I'm looking for stock ones, don't plan on spending money for the sloted till I convert them.

The front rotors are vented, the rears are not.

The engine size is 1.8L, or 1800cc.

I've got all my rotors from R1 Concepts in SoCal.

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/R1Concepts__W0QQ_nkwZAV09701QQLHQ5fSellerWithStoreZ1QQLHQ5fTitleDescZ1QQ_armrsZ1QQ_dmdZ2QQ_fromZQQ_sasiZ1QQ_sopZ1

Have fun, you're pulling the hubs too since the rotors are bolted to the backside of them.

If you're just carrying the rotors out and comparing them to the wheel stud pattern, you're way off. The rotor mount pattern is much smaller than the wheel lug pattern. If you don't have the tools to pull the hubs off, I would take it to someone who does.

You might also want to see if the rotors can be turned. Many shops now have lathes that turn the rotors on the car, saves a bundle on labor for these cars.

I am using a friends shop and another friend is helping me replacing them, he owned the car then blew the engine, me and him put a new one in. He sold it to me and now we are doing the breaks. We actually got one of the rears off, had to to take it to a parts store so they could actually see what i needed, haven't taken the front ones off but glad to know they are vented because I bought some. My order for the rears come monday, hopefully they are the right ones if not ill use that web site you gave me, also I was checking the forums for wright ups on how to replace them, ill be doing the rears tomorrow by myself because my friend has work and I cant leave it at his shop for to long, does anyone have a link to a wright up on what exactly to do, or can anyone wright one up :). Thx for the help, wish me luck :-\

Doesn't have the tool sticker anymore, but it does still have the skull on the hood. The dude that bought it is the friend that is helping me work on it. He blew the engine up and it was sitting around , he has a Gsx now. Doesn't have that nice intercooler in it right now because I have to get it smoged but as soon as it passes ill put it back on, also the engine bay isn't as clean as it is in that pic

Yeah I think i saw this thing on Craigslist last year with the blown motor. He was asking about as much as I sold it to him for, running perfectly tho when he bought it.

Still regret selling it, but knew someday it would find its way around to the USMB. It has a ton of potential, the intercooler should not hamper its smogability.... it didn't here in sacramento.

Anyhow. The motor he blew up wasnt stock, if you replaced it with a stock motor it should last a while with propper maintenance. However, with this heat... DEFINATLY GET AN INTERCOOLER! and a bypass valve because they do not come with one stock.

He didn't replace the oil in it for months( reason why it blew up). Event though its my first car I love it already. Well reason I took it off is because the dude you sold it to is a smog tech now and he is going to smog my car(the friend who is helping me with it). I bought an engine off ebay, was a stock one (ea82). It has 40k on it and came with a 6 month unlimited miles warranty. I was with him when he bought it from you, was and still is a sexy car :). Right now its running nice and cold(using the stock temp gauge).

Glad to hear its still alive and keeping people happy.

You should do some reading and learn how turbo's operate, what keep turbo engines happy. Subaru's make great first cars, however, the EA82T has gotten a bad wrap by even the most experienced Subaru techs on here.

There is also a ton of subaru specific documentation around here that will help you.

Hint: Search for HTKYSA.pdf (How to keep your Subaru Alive).