Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2003 subaru outback... seatbelt issue

yeah this is not an engine issue (thank goodness) i'm just having issues with the seatbelt in the back to seat three passengers. One of the "buckles" won't click to the seatbelt. I count two seatbelts with buckles but a third (for a passenger in the middle) only has the buckle (which is the one that won't catch the metal) but it has another "female" buckle which receives another clip. That clip is located on the ceiling towards the back of the wagon. Now this is the other "problem" i'm having with that seatbelt. It seems like it's "locked" and won't release to pull it down. I tried figuring out how to release but to no avail. I don't have the owner's manual (it was lost) so i can't refer to it.

i'm not sure i understand completely but.....

two of the receiving buckles are bolted to the car in the same place making it easy to mix them up. and for reasons i don't understand, the middle seatbelt is different than the side seat belt so you have to make sure you are using the middle belt and receiver for the middle and the side ones for the sides. if you are missing a receiving buckle or a belt, look under the seat, it folds forward. reach in between the seat and the back and feel around for a pull loop.

usually seatbelts will extend and retract as often as you want when you want, but some / all have a child seat safety feature built in, if you pull the belt out all of the way before you clip it, as it retracts it locks and will not extend again until it has retracted all the way or so.

if you can release the clip from the ceiling? and let it retract all the way back in you should be able to pull it out again.

i hope this helps.

Edited by johnceggleston

hey thanks for the info, yes i know it might sound confusing, but i enderstand about the "different" receiving buckle in the middle, the retracting belt that is on the ceiling has the two different clips, but really i'm tryin to figure how to pull it out, it stretches like an inch and "locks", i'll keep playing with it and see if i can make it stretch out...

yeah this is not an engine issue (thank goodness) i'm just having issues with the seatbelt in the back to seat three passengers. One of the "buckles" won't click to the seatbelt. I count two seatbelts with buckles but a third (for a passenger in the middle) only has the buckle (which is the one that won't catch the metal) but it has another "female" buckle which receives another clip. That clip is located on the ceiling towards the back of the wagon. Now this is the other "problem" i'm having with that seatbelt. It seems like it's "locked" and won't release to pull it down. I tried figuring out how to release but to no avail. I don't have the owner's manual (it was lost) so i can't refer to it.

I know that the buckle for the center belt won't buckle to any of the other belts, and my center shoulder belt pulls out of the roof just fine.

Dave