Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Check Engine Light??? 2000 Outback

I just bought a 2000 OBW and am pleased with almost everything. In fact, I just took it camping and we wheeled in 2 ft of snow. I am proud to say that the Suby made it further than three other SUV's.

The problem I have is that the check engine light has come on twice. The first time I replaced the 02 sensor and the light went off. The second time I replaced the spark plugs and lead wires, and the light went off for about 300 miles and came on again. I am afraid that I need a new catalytic converter. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how much do new caty's cost? Thank you all.

(and yes I have checked the gas cap!!!:D)

• 10 months later...
I just bought a 2000 OBW and am pleased with almost everything. In fact, I just took it camping and we wheeled in 2 ft of snow. I am proud to say that the Suby made it further than three other SUV's.

The problem I have is that the check engine light has come on twice. The first time I replaced the 02 sensor and the light went off. The second time I replaced the spark plugs and lead wires, and the light went off for about 300 miles and came on again. I am afraid that I need a new catalytic converter. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how much do new caty's cost? Thank you all.

Also have a 2000 but its a legacy 2.5 sohc it turned out to be the knock sensor, had the code cleared several times also uhooked the battery, made the light go off sometimes for a day or two but always came back on, eventually had the sensor changed and that was that no more light, the car never ran any different but my subaru mechanic said eventually i would have had an engine failure at some point, hope this was helpful.

The 'check engine' light has been coming on periodically since I've owned my 2000 Forester. I had the O2 sensor replaced on the recall, and within a few days the light came on again. I find that if I tighten the gas cap after a fill-up, the light is less likely to come on. It was also recommended that I don't 'top-off' the tank when filling up, which I had a habit of doing. I've been driving for five years without any engine problems. I think it's just a thing you learn to live with with some subies. Btw, my dealer tried to convince me that it was a problem with some part at the bottom of my gas tank and would cost me about $600 to fix. Nice try on his part. He backed off when he found out I had an extended warranty, lol.

The 'check engine' light has been coming on periodically since I've owned my 2000 Forester. I had the O2 sensor replaced on the recall, and within a few days the light came on again. I find that if I tighten the gas cap after a fill-up, the light is less likely to come on. It was also recommended that I don't 'top-off' the tank when filling up, which I had a habit of doing. I've been driving for five years without any engine problems. I think it's just a thing you learn to live with with some subies. Btw, my dealer tried to convince me that it was a problem with some part at the bottom of my gas tank and would cost me about $600 to fix. Nice try on his part. He backed off when he found out I had an extended warranty, lol.
Don't forget the primary o2 aka air fuel sensor...