Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Another suby build

Mugs

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

It runs and breathes. Got the engine and everything else hooked up. Started her up. She started on a dime :banana::headbang::burnout: I am pooped and 4 am comes way too soon for me, so I won't be posting any pics as of yet. But I will hopefully get some up in a few days. Plus maybe a vid in the near future.

I am so stoked.

Cheers.

P.S. Thanks Monstaru, for all the help today.

Thanks for taking the vid, Monstaru. I got alot of the wire harness "cleaned up" and loomed. Only a few more wires to do on the drivers side and then I can start putting the interior back together.

I will attempt to post some pics tonight for every one but my puter' seems to having some issues as of late and that is why I have not been posting anything.

Thanks

Mugs.

Ok I can finally down load pics again, so I am going to play catch up. Obvioulsy the engine is in and running (but idles weird) and all that is left is a better exhaust, skid plates, tires, and registraton. Keep the fingers crossed on not having to go through emissions. After that small stuff like lights, cb, roof rack etc, etc. It can come in time.

Ok so here is some pics to bring us all up to date.

P9210001.jpg

P9210002.jpg

P9220014.jpg

P9300023.jpg

PA050027.jpg

My "custom" radiator hose to the H2O pump. I inserted a 1in brass coller in a hose, Brian and I found at Schucks that was in the shap of a "U" and then instered it into the EJ hose using Permatex Aircraft Aviation Gasket Maker. The coller acts as a clamping force....So far no leaks. I repeated the same for the top hose but just used the Stock EA hose and cut to fit into the EJ.

PA050032.jpg

PA050028.jpg

PA050031.jpg

No more spaghetti wireing. All connections were sodered into the wiring of the EA82 and or other respective areas of the EJ. Then heat shrinked and finally loomed. Di-electric was applied to all connectors as well.

PA070041.jpg

PA060037.jpg

PA070038.jpg

PA070039.jpg

The rims before and then after.

PA130042.jpg

Tommarrow I mount and balance the tires. And finish putting in the center console...The rest of the dash and all that, is all ready in. I finally worked out the final shifting action :banana: so that is good to go. Hopefully in about another week I can be driving it on the road. Just in time to, we have snow in the forecast. :grin:

Well I got it buttoned up enough to drive it this weekend. Got a trip permit for it and welded on a glass pack. I am down to the little stuff. For the most part it ran ok, have some drivablity issue's to work out but that will come in time. IT was a fun weekend because I swapped the trip permit between the BRAT and the wagon. :lol: and drove them both this weekend. so here are some pics. Just need to finish the bumpers, make a skid plate or two, run light, make a basket, tuck up my exhaust and run it differently, etc, etc.

PA180025.jpg

PA180017.jpg

PA180018.jpg

PA180016.jpg

PA180015.jpg

PA180014.jpg

PA180019.jpg

PA180022.jpg

PA180023.jpg

PA180021.jpg

PA180026.jpg

• 2 months later...

Well I don't know if I should continue posting in this thread or in the "what have you done to your sub lately" thread. But since it is my car and even thogh work is far and few between on it I figure here would still be the best place.

So I had a buddy weld up my exhaust finally. Now I can do my skid plate :banana: and then my basket cargo carrier.

Hey where did the "cats" go :grin:

P1040010.jpg

P1040013.jpg

P1040014.jpg

up and over

P1040011.jpg

Just dump right there...Keep it simple..right. :lol:

P1040016-1.jpg

It is so much nicer and quieter sounding w/o that big ol cherry bomb on it. We used a glass pack and then flipped it to reduce the soind even more. I may run it clear out the back thoughh... We'll se after drivign around for a week or so. Oh and the best part...It not draggin' its balls on the ground any more.

Well I have only had it for a day and half now so I am not too sure. But no it does not rattle and no I have not noticed any additonal heat build up with it. In fact it runs pretty close to the park brake cable on the one side and it is not even "melting" so I would say it is good to go.

Idealy I would like to have flipped the exhaust head flanges to face forward and then run the pipes straight up and over the engine cross member which would take the exhaust completly out of the equation as far as ground clerance issues on the approach angle. But I would need to have a different set of engine member lift blocks built with notches in them to be able clear the exhaust between the valve covers and the blocks themselves. Maybe further down the road for that though.

Wow, lookin' great Mugs. Is this the car you got my rear disks for? You've invested a lot of hours I'll venture. I'm gettin' my wagon closer to finished, hope to post some pics one day soon. Congrats' on your project. Steve.

Why yes, yes it is. The rear disc conversion came out great...thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

OK so a little more progress. Been mainly having fun driving it, but have not offroaded it yet because I had no skid plate. So this week I got the metal bent and then made a mount for it to hook up to the bumper. It came out nice I think. Goes clear back to about 3inches away from the tranny cross member. It ties into the motor cross member as well as the bumper :banana:

Now to get out to the ORV park and see what this thing can do. Going to go open diff first to get of feel for things, then will put in the "Lincoln" locker and do a compare and contrast. :burnout:

P.S. No the cardboard isn't because its cold, its covering the license plate for the pics. :grin:

P2030025.jpg

P2030026.jpg

P2030028.jpg

P2030027.jpg

Damn nice skid plate. If you go fast enough you could skimmm over the top of a deep mudhole. Try hitting some deep snow at 30MPH and see if you sled on it. HHAHAHA:banana:

Well I was doing precisly just that. I heard it skimming just fine and was just powering through muddy rutted trails. But then I got myself into a non mud predicument :eek::mad::rolleyes:

But that story will come later.

• 2 years later...
Well I got some more work done. Finally got the shifting all worked out So I will post some pics.

What I started out doing was trying to extend everything. I cut the tubing in half and then tapped it out. It failed misseriably. I could not even shift it with the jam nuts locked down to max.

CIMG1476.jpg

So I scrapped that idea and started over again. This time with the suggestion of Monstaru and the advice of Baccaruda and looking at his car for a referance. I figured this time I would just brin the shifting down tot he trans and keep it all "stock" down there. I did some testing and R&D and this is what I came up with.

I dropped the shift bracket 4inches and offset it a bit so that the stabilzer would reach the mount. Plus I notched the top part so it would clear the e-brake cable on the left side.

P7100002.jpg

P7100010.jpg

Next I went after the 4x4 selector. At First I thought well if the shifter went down four inches then bring the selector up 4in. But when I did that the shifter was jammed against the bracketry in second and fourth and had no reverse. So I brough it down 2in and that seemed to be the sweet spot but it was hitting the tunnel and hitting the 4low switch. But I knew I was on the right path. So Went back to the junk yard and found a curved slector out of and 87 wagon, it was even worse. So I went back to the bannanna shifter. I cut off the switch mount (if you dont know your in 4 low you have a problem :grin:) and will remount it else where. Then I clearance the tunnel to fit the slector bar and bolted it all back up. It worked much better and I had all gears and reverse.

I need to bend up the slector just a wee bit and to the left at 90 to get it out of the way the tray. Plus I think I will straighten the shifter a bit as well. But for right now it all works well. I plan on bracing the bracketry in some way under the car as well because there is just a little bit to much flex when shifting or slecting. For clearance issues (because low and 2nd are really colse to another) I am just going to buy some narrow after market razoo shifter knobs.

The E-brake cable going the clearanced corner.

CIMG1464.jpg

The 4in bracket for the shift assmebly.

CIMG1466.jpg

shift assembly with 2in 4x4 selector bracket.

CIMG1473.jpg

clearanced shift area.

CIMG1474.jpg

Installed

CIMG1477.jpg

CIMG1483.jpg

CIMG1481.jpg

4low and 2nd gear

CIMG1478.jpg

CIMG1504.jpg

more later

Yes...I know it's old but damn it this is the only pics I could find of a shift linkage mod that might work in my Legacy.:clap: