Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking to contact Colorado RallyX drivers

edrach

Especially if you were in Hillsboro, OR last year for the National event. I know my son may still have an email availble, but I can't wait until he's back.

Anyway, I'm considering running the Fountain, CO event in September and want to get some information how you guys run your events; i.e. rules, courses, etc.

What's the weather like in September?

Thanks.

I'm from Colorado, though I didn't start rallycrossing until after I moved to Maryland. I'll try to help with the questions I know about. Generally the weather in September is pretty nice (usually highs in the 70s-80s and sunny), but colder rainy or snowy weather is also a real possibility. I highly recommend bringing both warm and cold weather clothing to be prepared for whatever the weather happens to be while you are there.

The Colorado rallycross site http://www.coloradorallycross.org/ lists their local rules and whatnot, so hopefully that will help.

Edited by MatthewakaMatt

I'm from Colorado, though I didn't start rallycrossing until after I moved to Maryland. I'll try to help with the questions I know about. Generally the weather in September is pretty nice (usually highs in the 70s-80s and sunny), but colder rainy or snowy weather is also a real possibility. I highly recommend bringing both warm and cold weather clothing to be prepared for whatever the weather happens to be while you are there.

The Colorado rallycross site http://www.coloradorallycross.org/ lists their local rules and whatnot, so hopefully that will help.

Thanks Matt for the info. I'll look into the website you mention.

Any thoughts on how a N/A engine reacts to the 5500 foot elevation of Fountain, CO?

The n/a class is becoming alot more popular around here. I am thinking of becoming involved in that when I get an n/a car. I am slowly improving my tleg for playing around.
Yes, I personally prefer N/A since the turbo lag is one issue I don't have to deal with. Max was an exceptional driver and did very well in Hillsboro.

Hey Ed, I run in RM4 class with my 2.5L SOHC in my Impreza. I would suggest a soft to medium compound rally tire for this event. You won't need your mud tires. You will probably be surprised at how much this event will chew up your tires. The surface is slippery gravel on top of packed dirt(no topsoil) which never seems to rut up. There is a concrete pad to park on. I would try to get there early to get a spot on it as this will be a popular event as we have had around 60 drivers at our normal events. Ken has been quite dominate in his EVO this year though I might have a trick up my sleeve for nationals. I am excited to see all you guys out here and have some good tough competition.

As for the N/A part, I am pretty sure you have a 2.2L in the impreza right? It has been very tough for me to be competitive with the turbo guys lately and we don't have an N/A class. Ken just seems to get better and better in the EVO and it is hard to keep up with a car that has twice the horsepower as your own. That being said the courses out here are usually quite technical compared to the Midwest national courses over the last few year. This helps to narrow the HP gap. You guys are good drivers and I think that you will be very competitive once you get the surface down.

Nationals are on the 9th of October. Early October can be quite cold in Colorado so bring a good jacket, pants, shorts and t shirts as it can also be in the 80s. October and November are our driest months so don't expect rain or snow. But here you never know.

As for running of the event, I haven't been to the last couple of races but we have had trouble lately with the not being able to get a lot of runs. I hope we have that figured out by Nationals and we should. We usually run two run groups in the morning and two in the afternoon. So you have three runs in the morning and three in the afternoon. I think we will have a night event at Nationals also.

Sorry it is kind of scattered but I hope that answers your questions. Please ask more if you need to.

-Max

Max, thanks for the feedback. I was hoping for this to get back to you. I'm thinking of making it out in October but it's not definite yet. James will not make it out as far as I know since he'll likely not get the time off from school or work; also, he may not qualify for the National since he hasn't run any of the Challenge series.

I've checked some of the videos posted on your group's website but all the Fountain ones are PPIR and not the Truck driving course. I'm really jealuous of all the venues you guys seem to have and the number of events you can field and the fact that you don't ever seem to use a water truck.

Edit: Found the USTDS videos; I just didn't search deep enough.

Regards to Ken also. I'm impressed with the amount of power that the EVOs manage to put to the ground.

Edited by edrach