Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 1990 Legacy blew the 4EAT. There is one available from a 1999 Forester, 2.5 L, on my local Craigs List. Will it bolt up to my 2.2 L. I know my final drive is 4.11, does anyoone know what the 1999 AT final drive ratio is?

Thanks in advance.:banana:

the 99 forester might work. it will bolt up (though the bellhousings are slightly different, they will bolt up).

the Forester will be a 4.44 gear ratio. you could swap the rear diff to match and be fine, your gearing would be a bit different then. or run it FWD. :lol:

like he said, the electronics part will be the issue. if you want to make it work you would want to swap the transmission harness from your legacy onto the forester transmission.

i think the forester will have an electrical speed sensor, yours will have a cable driven one. but, luckily they are interchangeable. just swap out the one in the forester and thread your legacy one in there.

the other option is to swap your front diff from the legacy onto the forester, but that's a rather complicated endeavor not for the faint of heart.

Won't work. The Electronics are totally differeent.

99 Forrester Trans uses 3 internal speed sensors, Hooking it up to the 90 TCU would be difficult, if not impossible.

As well as the difference in ratios.

better to find a 4.11 ratio 4EAT from 90,91 Legacy,93+ Impreza, or 95-97 outback. IIRC those will all be the same ratio and plug right in to existing wirng

99 Forrester Trans uses 3 internal speed sensors, Hooking it up to the 90 TCU would be difficult, if not impossible.
aren't the cable driven and electronic mechanisms swappable?

i've read that the cable driver mechanism threads right in place of the newer electronic ones. if that's the case, the possibility may be there to just swap that and ignore the other two since the gen 1 legacy won't need them anyway and you're swapping the harness?

thinking out loud, i haven't done nor do i have a 99 here to look at for the moment.