Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gas tank fix? or just do a fuel cell?

So i am looking at buying a brat for a smoking deal. He said the only issue is a rust hole in the gas tank that makes it leak gas. :lol:

So i was just curious how easy would it be to replace the gas tank in a brat? Or should I just weld a custom fuel cell in the back and re-route the fuel lines?

fuel cells the answer, done it to two. sometimes get funny looks getting gas, people are not to smart. yeah i,m putting gas in the bed:lol:

:lol: good to buy in bulk in case the price goes up :lol:

how many gallons does your bed hold? :lol:

if it's accessible and just a matter of localized damage, repair the tank.

if it's just average rust and probably in other areas, you can remove it and have it repaired as well, or just replace it. there are shops that specialize in cleaning and repairing gas tanks.

A guy that get gas at my dad's shell has an old keg (or what looks like a keg)

sitting just above his bed where you can see it.

it's an old american truck done up ratty. and it looks great...

you should do a keg in your brat. :banana:

A guy that get gas at my dad's shell has an old keg (or what looks like a keg)

sitting just above his bed where you can see it.

it's an old american truck done up ratty. and it looks great...

you should do a keg in your brat. :banana:

YES!!! you should!! :headbang: I see a brat with 2-3 kegs in the back marked with various adult beverage labels AND a big painted sign on the sides saying "STALE ALCOHOL ECO VEHICLE" and in smaller print "Friends don't let Friends drink stale beer! Recycle it here!" :lol:

Have little funnel topped "holding tanks" ... maybe several different ones labeled "beer, wine, spirits" like it was an official recycling center lol!! You could even have "double vision" versions of the labels for the beer-goggled below each one in parenthesis! (i.e. double vision, backwards, etc.) :drunk:

Don't let a bad tank turn you off to a good deal on a Brat. In my experience, if a tank is rusty enough to get a hole all the way through, it's not worth trying to mess with. Even if you plug it and clean it out, you will prob eventually get rust contamination in the fuel, clogging the lines, filters, pump and carb. I have just recently installed a 20 gal air compressor tank in the "bed" of my Hatch and it works great. The drain at the bottom works perfect for the outlet and the other fittings on top are my filler and vent, I didnt have to cut or drill anything to make it work. Air compressor tanks are thicker steel than normal gas tanks and are designed to withstand up to around 150 psi, very tough. Plus they look cool and are available in all different sizes.