Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A few 1996 Outback questions

Guest ptrbilt

Howdy folks

I just bought a 1996 Outback and I have afew questions. It has the keyless entry with an alarm.

When I put the key in the run position, motor not running, both electric cooling fans start to cycle on and off. It does this all of the time independent of the water temperature. What is the cause of this? Shouldn't they just run when the water reaches a certain temperature?

The check engine light blinks all of the time. As soon as the key is turned it blinks and then never stops until you shut down the motor. Any suggestions on where to start trouble shooting this?

Thanks,

Ptrbilt

Guest ptrbilt

I had the codes pulled and none came up. I've also tried to disconnect the battery to reset the computer and that didn't help either.

Ptrbilt

Guest tcspeer

maybe someone rewired the fans, my nephew done that to a car he had, only he had the wire straight from the battery to the fan, and had to undo it every time he got out.

If the cycles are rapid (on and off) and regular (duration of on and off periods always the same), it's possible the ECU is in test mode. I'm not sure but I think this is done by connecting or disconnecting two wires under the dash somewhere.

Josh should be able to set you right on this, but bying a Haynes manual for your car (just over 10$ US) could help you trouble shoot this.

Good luck!

Guest rcoaster

It is. You have two wires under the dash, to the right of the steering column, near the heater. I think it's a green and black wire. I have a 1996 Outback too, and decided one day to connect the two wires and got the result you mentioned. Just disconnect them and all will be fine. I will get out my digital camera and snap a picture of the connector in question and post it soon today.

Guest ptrbilt

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try to find the wires and disconnect them. Will these wires (test mode) also cause the check engine light to flash all of the time?

Guest scoobtech

look under the drivers side dash area . You will see a single wire green connector . Unplug it . This is how you test the system & yes it will cause the check eng . light to blink . :cool:

Guest ptrbilt

Guys

Thanks for the wire connector suggestion. I found it, disconnected it and the problem is gone. :D

Thanks again,

Ptrbilt