Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi Everybody!

As I Already Told in This Thread:
~►
 http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/96565-weber-brakes-problems-eathquake-damage/

I am Having front Brake Problems with my beloved Subaru "BumbleBeastWagon, the rear brakes are alright.

I Really Need to Change the Whole Front Calipers; the Problem is that the Calipers has worn out the e-Brake
(Parking Brake) System's mechanism and the guides on the Caliper's metallic structure, beyond any repair or kit could fix in a Safe way.

The e-Brake is no longer Working anymore, I disconnected both Cables because somehow I had a hit in the inner side of the front driver's wheel while cruising a Pond, and the Driver's side Caliper got bent the small Arm that activates the Piston, for the e-Brake, plus it also bent the pin; so everytime I pulled the e-Brake handle lever, the Calipers leaks brake fuid from Behind, on the e-Brake mechanism area.

More information about that hit during a Pond Cruising, on the web link Above.

So I Want to Obtain some Front Calipers from a Newer Subie model, that (if Possible) might be a Direct Fit to my Subie's Knucles ... you know: Without Transforming Parts, Just Swap Because I Can not Stop my Subie for more time than a Weekend, it is my daily driver.

What I really want is to get Rid permanently from this lousy e-Brake setup, because soon I'll do my own Rear e-Brake retrofitting instead. I am Really seeking to have the Safest Braking: Now I Transport my Baby Daughter & my Wife everyday.

So, do you know if there is a Newer Subie Model's Calipers that can Fit the knuckles / rotors on my EA82 Wagon?

Any imput will be really appreciated. Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Right now I'm gathering all the Needed parts for a Rear e-Brake Setup.

► EDIT: I finished that project, Successfully and is Working Flawlessly Thumbup.jpg

Follow this Link for complete information:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/129779-the-definitive-rear-e-brake-retrofit-solution/

Kind Regards.

I think you should ask Zap or Scooby to see if they can fit a 2.5RS front caliper on an EA82 caliper bracket. They work at Aaron's Auto Wrecking in Seattle; Aaron's is an all-Subaru wrecking yard.

If you're familiar with how to change brake pads - remove the lower retaining bolt from the caliper assembly so that the caliper can pivot on the upper pin (not to be confused with the mounting bolts that attach the caliper bracket to the knuckle) then all you have to do to completely separate the caliper from its bracket is to unbolt the pivot pin from the back of the caliper just like the retaining bolt.

I would be worried about the diameter of the rotor being compatible with the stock location of the EA82 caliper, though. It might be possible to "improve" the front brakes too much so that they lock up easier... for instance, if the stock rotor is too small.

I'd suggest that you either do a 5-lug swap and keep all of the brake parts original to each other, or that you buy the best pads and rotors that you can for the EA82 and invest in great tires - the tires are often overlooked when people go to upgrade the brakes.

Good luck!

Thank you So Much for that Great Advice!

I think you should ask Zap or Scooby to see if they can fit a 2.5RS front caliper on an EA82 caliper bracket. ...

I Believe that it is a very Good Idea, maybe one of them can Build an "Ready to Fit" set of newer Subie Calipers on the EA82 Bracklets and sell those to me. I Will send the Cost for those parts, plus the shipping and handling costs.

I Believe that by Loosing the Front e-Brake system, my Subie will be Safer and will have less Parts that can Fail, Because the Front e-brakes are Not a Good Idea in the Real World after some years of use, because they worns faster their mechanisms and then they doesn't help too much to hold the subie in place, Specially in my extremely Mountainous & Crazy Country. That's why I Always Park my Subie with the Tires Facing the Sidewalk, and I always carry in the car, a triangular solid stone for those places where there is No sidewalk available.  ;) 

Also I Believe that there should not be too much Difference Between the Diameter size of the EA82 Rotors to the early impreza or Legacy ones ...
I am not Sure ... I hope that my Subie can Handle the Difference.

Kind Regards.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Today, Something Weird Happened to Me: I Was Driving my Subie in a Highway at average Speeds While Slow Rain was Falling... After some miles of Cruisin' back to my Home, Something made the Driver in the Car that was in Front of mine, to Stop Abruptly... I Did Stoped the Subie at around ten inches of the Car that was in Front of Mine...

The Weird Thing was Not the Weak Brakes... The Weird Thing is That I Didn't Noticed that the Big Car that was Running in Front of Mine Was a Subaru ... :eek: ... Untill I Saw the Pleiades' Stars Logo! :banghead:  It Was a Beautiful Subaru Tribeca in Champagne Colour... Nice but it Looked very 
Unsubaru for my Subaru Instincts.

I'm still searchin' for a Solution for my Subie's Front Calipers.

Kind Regards.

it is really easy to rebuild the calipers.and clean them up nice to work very good for you. you can get the rebuild kits from any major parts store.cheers, brian

i have confidence in the fact that you can make them like new, i have done so many times.all you have to do is pay attention to how you take them apart,i bet even a haynes manual would show you.

Thank you for your Kind Words!

Yes, I have Rebuilt Those Front Calipers, several Times Since years Ago, but the Problem is the excesive Wear in the e-Brake System mechanism, Just Behind the Caliper's piston chambers, where the Special Screw Goes, the metal tunnel is now Oval, not round anymore. I bet that being driving in Honduras, requires a Lot more brakings than Driving in the USA.

I Changed Pistons and their Seals, but the Problem is that when I Pull the e-Brake Handle: The Small O-Ring gets Moved from where it should be, and sometimes even it gets cut, developing Dangerous Brake Fluid Leaks from Behind the Calipers, leading to Loose Pressure in the Whole System... you understand.

I Just Got Tired from that Weak problematic Front e-Brake System, so I really Want to get Rid of it forever. Otherwise it will keep causing problems and will never be as strong as the average car's parking brake.

Kind Regards.

A simpler, cheaper option might be to get new (to you) EA82 calipers, that don't have the totally worn E-brake parts. Get the rest of the e-brake parts at the same time. Rebuild it all, back to near-new condition. The alternative, getting 5 lug parts from an Impreza, would require lots more new (to you) parts, and more work to install.

Other than not being able to do handbrake turns, I love the front e-brake. It is the only E-brake I have ever seen that would actually stop the car. When functioning properly, it really is an emergency brake, not just a handbrake good enough to keep the car from rolling away on a slight hill.

• 3 weeks later...

... Other than not being able to do handbrake turns, I love the front e-brake. It is the only E-brake I have ever seen that would actually stop the car. When functioning properly, it really is an emergency brake, not just a handbrake ...

Yes, I remember that I liked the Stopping Power it Had when my "BumbleBeast" was New, in 1985. That is only a Memory nowadays... that front e-Brake system suffers too much Wear with age and usage.

Kind Regards.

If you decide to replace the calipers with kown good ones, I have two sets of EA calipers that I can send you. Both are off good cars, one was in an accident and the other was parted out due to engine troubles.

Let me know if htis is appealing to you. This way you will have good ebrakes too.

• 9 months later...

Well... almost a Year have Passed by and I Still need to fix my Wagon's Front Brakes.

I Sent a Couple of Private Messages but Seems like my Friends are too Busy...

Could it be a Chance to Obtain that or is it Impossible?

... :confused: ...

Well, "Subaru" and "Impossible" are two Words that Hardly are in the Same Sentence, So I Still Keep my Hopes Alive...

Kind Regards.

Well... almost a Year have Passed by and I Still need the...

...for my Loyale Wagon's Front Brakes.

I Sent a Couple of Private Messages but Seems like my Friends are too Busy...

Could it be a Chance to Obtain that or is it Impossible?

... :confused: ...

Well, "Subaru" and "Impossible" are two Words that are Hardly in the Same Sentence, So I Still Keep my Hopes Alive...

Kind Regards.

I only have EA81 brackets, so I wouldn't want to test-fit them and lead you astray with my results.

Bump for someone to help this USMB contributor. Someone must have some calipers lying around.

Jacob

I Know the Nissan Silvia from some Japanese Magazines I Have, but here it was not available, Could it Share some of its Parts with other Nissan Models?

Being more Direct: do you know Wich other Nissan Model came with the Same Silvia's Brakes?

Kind Regards.

Im not sure about fitting other front calipers to your ea82 brackets, but front disc brake cars here are everywhere, and wrecker pricing can be as low as 15 to 20.00 each. You could easily import good used fronts inexpensivley. If your dead set on convertoing to rear pb set up there is an excellent thread on what donor calipers to come up with and you can mix parts with your rear disc calipers.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63647

Good luck, Mark

• 2 months later...

Thank you Mark, You're So Kind; but that Thread was pointed about the Rear Brakes and my Problem are with the Front Brakes... So I Still need a Solution.

I Need Somehow a Replacement for my Subie's Front Calipers... I Started this Thread Thinkin' that Maybe Here, some of our USMB Friends could Build a set of EJ Calipers Mounted in EA Brackets; but After all this Time and PM's Sent Without any Response ... :( ... I changed my Mind.

Now I wonder if I Send those Old Calipers to a Machine Shop in order to Close the Caliper's Back and Remove all the lousy e-Brake System's Stuff... Do you Believe that it Could Work?

Kind Regards.

Thank you Mark, You're So Kind; but that Thread was pointed about the Rear Brakes and my Problem are with the Front Brakes... So I Still need a Solution.

I Need Somehow a Replacement for my Subie's Front Calipers... I Started this Thread Thinkin' that Maybe Here, some of our USMB Friends could Build a set of EJ Calipers Mounted in EA Bracklets; but After all this Time and PM's Sent Without any Response... :( ...I Must Change the idea.

So, Now I Drive my Subie Without the e-Brake Lines Attached, I Tied the e-Brake Arms in order to avoid 'em to Move, So the Car Doesn't have any e-Brake but that is the Only Way how I can Avoid the Old Problem, While I Could Find a Permanent Fix.

(The Old Problem is Simple: Each Time I Pulled the e-Brake Handle, the O-Ring on the Caliper's Back, Which Belong to the e-Brake System; Worns itself Letting go the Brake Fluid).

Now I wonder if I Send those Old Calipers to a Machine Shop in order to Close the Caliper's Back and Remove all the e-brake System Stuff... Do you Believe that it Could Work?

Kind Regards.

It's beyond my skill to mount newer calipers to EA brackets, so the only thing I can contribute is to mention that rockauto.com has calipers for about $30 USD each. Do you think that new calipers and disconnecting the e-brake would fix your fluid draining problem?

Jacob

Well... yes it could be a Solution, but importing remanufactured calipers to Honduras is pretty expensive, and the newer ones still will have all the e-Brake mechanisms hanging there, doing nothing... Just Disconnecting the e-Brake Stuff is not a Long Term Fix... and Remove the e-Brake Stuff from the Calipers seems to be Complicated due to its Relation with the Caliper's Piston.

Has anyone Tried that, Successfully Before?

Kind Regards.

So you want to find a set of calipers that bolt to the 4 lug EA82 caliper bracket and use the 4 lug EA82 pads but don't have E-brake mechanisms, correct?

I belive 89-94 legacys have the same distance between the caliper slides that the EA's have. So that would give you a caliper without E-brake that would bolt onto the EA bracket and pads.

I have 4 lug EA knuckles, 5 lug EA xt6 knuckels, and 1st gen legacy knuckles down at my shed. If you want I can mix and match parts and see what fits for you.

As for the front E-brake being the source of your troubles, I have multiple EA82 cars with 150k+ miles on them with the origional non-leaking calipers. I don't think you're doomed to leaks if you have front e-brakes, I think your calipers are junk and you'd be better off with a fresh set.