Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Yup, kinda figured hauling one that far would be $$$$. :dead:

I've got the D/R fever as well, and was looking into an EA trans swap. But I love the way the car handles with AWD. I think going to FWD would make it not quite as fun on the gravel roads around here. And 4WD might be even worse.

I'd also like to build a frankie at some point and the EA box might not hold up to it. I can get an EA box for $125 though, plus some gas and a little time at the junkyard. Flywheel clutch and adapter kit will be $$$, but the tradeoff may be worth it.

Hope your swap goes well! I'll be keeping an eye out for updates!

• 3 months later...

Today I Drove a Local Subaru Forester 2009, with the 2.5L engine, Disc brakes all around and... Yes: Dual Range! ;)

It was Sold by the Local (Honduran) Subaru Dealer, so it is LADM (Latin American Domestic Market) Specs.

It Belongs to a Friend's Father. I was able to take a few Pictures (using my Cellphone), even my friend took one picture of me, with my Finger pointing to the Dual Range Lever ... ;) ...

Here are the Pictures: :D

post-17344-136027659353_thumb.jpg

post-17344-13602765936_thumb.jpg

Not exactly AGAIN... let me Explain:

Seems like the Only nations in the World that doesn't has the Dual Range Transmissions as an option in the Subaru Lineup, since the introduction of the EJ (Legacy & impreza) and Newer models, are USA and Canada.

The Reason why Subaru suspended the sales in the USA, of the Dual Range transmissions on their lineup since the Loyale: 
Taxations & Legal Regulations that Classified the Dual Range Sedans & Wagons as "Light Duty Trucks".

SubaruasTruck.jpg

That Sticker Belongs to a Subaru Loyale Sedan.

Being classified as "Light Duty Trucks" the Subarus were in a Huge Disadvantage Versus their similar Competitors, because their Taxations, Cost etc... and insurance Risk were heavier than any similar car... So Subaru was somehow "Forced" to remove the Dual-Range trans from their USA Lineup only.

About the 1980's Subaru Sedans and Wagons being taxed as Light Duty Trucks, I readed somewhere that they was Taxed 25% more, due to the "Chicken Tax": Read here ~► http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax

But, Beside that, Subaru was experiencing a Market Loss in USA on the Late 1980's and Early 1990's and I Read that Subaru was about to Leave USA ... That "Crisis" Killed the Third Gen Subaru Brat, only a Prototype was Built, Named "Subaru Suiren"

post-13502-0-08834000-1361339142_thumb.gif

Subaru discontinued the Brat and the Justy earlier in USA than other Markets, we had those available 'till 1994 here, and in the very Last Year, an EA82 engine for the Brat was Optional in Certain markets.

Also, nowadays Not all the USA People will like a "Dual Range" Sedan or Wagon, Specially in this era of Automated things; you know... 
Dual Range has always been an Option on the Latin American Domestic Market (LADM) also Australia (AUDM), China, Europe, Asia has them too...

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Early Legacy that you can see in the first posts of this thread, came factory with a Carburated EJ engine with distribuitor and Dual Range trans, if you look at the early posts of this thread, you'll see it, next to my Yellow Wagon. :D

The Latin American and Rest of the World Markets has many other Subies that are no longer imported to the USA, like the (New) Subaru Sambar (Micro Pick up & Micro Bus):

Subaru-Sambar-Truck-Japan-March-2012.jpg

Or Subies that never were available in USA, Like the R2...

subaru__s_kei_car_3_by_gupa507-d47npit.jpg

...or the Subaru Traviq:

Subaru-Traviq-4.jpg

The new Subaru Sambar Micro Trucks are Still Subarus...

Subaru-Sambar-Truck-Japan-March-2012.jpg

ts.jpg

...But the Subaru Dias Wagon is a... Rebadged Daihatsu!

800px-Dias_WAGON.jpg

Another Rebadged Model is the Daihatsu Sirion as...

Subaru Justy!

subaru-justy-10-twin-cam.jpg

Portapapeles01-6.jpg

subaru-justy-cuadro.jpg

jus450.jpg

I came across this LADM (Latin American Domestic Market) Subaru Legacy.

It has a Factory Carb & Disty EJ18 Engine, but this one also has a Turbo! :eek:

EJ18CarbTurbo1.jpg

EJ18CarbTurbo2.jpg

EJ18CarbTurbo3.jpg

The Owner, who Lives in Argentina; Restored it.

He Started by Removing the Engine for a Complete Reseal:

EJ18CarbTurbo4.jpg

EJ18CarbTurbo5.jpg

EJ18CarbTurbo6.jpg

I Really Like how that Engine Looks:

EJ18CarbTurbo7.jpg

EJ18CarbTurbo8.jpg

Then, he Prepared & Painted the Body:

EJ18CarbTurbo9.jpg

EJ18CarbTurbo10.jpg

Finally, Reinstalled the Renewed Engine:

EJ18CarbTurbo11.jpg

EJ18CarbTurbo12.jpg

And here is the Final Look:

EJ18CarbTurbo16.jpg

EJ18CarbTurbo14.jpg

EJ18CarbTurbo15.jpg

EJ18CarbTurbo13.jpg

More info, ~► Here.

Kind Regards. :burnout:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I Had to Edit some of my Older Posts because the New Website's Software doesn't allow me to post more than Ten Photos per post, also my writings shows small letter size while I used a Bigger one, and other Bugs like Photos scrambled as Web Links, etc...

I'm tryin' to fix everything ASAP ... I Hope you Understand.

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Do you want more LADM (Latin American Domestic Market) Specs Subaru Pictures?

:D

Dual Range Subaru Impreza:

20084093.jpg

20084091.jpg

2008409.jpg

HOLA JesZEK!!

You should do some more research on the LADM imprezas. It is possible they have 1.59:1 low gear. Those wew in Australia BUT very hard to find. That low gear is the same gear reduction as EA82 GL wagons and is very good. It will probably be in a 3.90 final drive 5-speed, BUT that's still almost 22:1 crawl ratio with a 3.90 axle ratio. if you swapped a 4.11 crown wheel into an impreza with 1.59:1 low (with monor grinding to the crown wheel), you'd have 23:1 crawl ratio in a full time AWD EJ -powered 5 -speed!!

THAT would be very nice!!!!

My brother-in-law says he might look into the Honduaran Subarus and see about trying to get cars or parts (if so it would be a LOT easier, faster and cheaper than how Imported my trans from Australia)

At any rate, see if you can get more information on dual range EJ imprezas from the LADM! Thanks, and great posts!! :headbang:

HOLA JesZEK!!

You should do some more research on the LADM imprezas. It is possible they have 1.59:1 low gear. ...

Hi Mark! ... Yes, I'll do that, but let me tell you that if AUSDM received them, I bet those are The Same for the LADM: Subaru offered Dual Ranges Worldwide, except USA due to their Taxations, Legal Regulations and Car Classification (indexation) you know, as I explained in previous posts here...

... My brother-in-law says he might look into the Honduaran Subarus and see about trying to get cars or parts (if so it would be a LOT easier, faster and cheaper than how Imported my trans from Australia)...

Yes, it is very Good Idea, but let me Tell you that is Much easier to buy the Whole car than Parts from any Subie here: is Extremly Rare to see anyone parting out an old car and Local Junk Yards does not carry Local Car's Parts, only parts that they bring from USA.

... great posts!! ...

Thank you!

Kind Regards.

• 4 weeks later...

The Following is a Very interesting Post on the Subject, taken from other thread but it worth Sharing its info here:

maybe this is usefull info, but i doubt it :cool:

over here in iceland the 5speed EJ series cars almost all came with the D/R transmissions

forester´s all had them (except turbo models)

impreza´s and legacy´s where different

basicly the sedans had just the normal 5 speed

and the wagons had the D/R (again, except turbo models)

i have even seen a 2008 ej15 impreza hatch with a D/R

i have driven sooo many subaru´s here and while i don´t tear many transmissions apart, i can tell you that not all of them have the same low range ratio (depending on year, model)

here is a "90 wagon i had Ej22 16Valve with a D/R

321055_2246315010407_312553535_n.jpg

297409_2246315250413_2133831588_n.jpg

296319_2246315690424_1825510706_n.jpg

1998 forester =

CarImage.aspx?s=17&c=154602&p=26417&w=600

2001 legacy =

CarImage.aspx?s=53&c=155178&p=20810&w=600

2009 legacy =

CarImage.aspx?s=19&c=151461&p=28185&w=600

cheers