Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My Wife wanted another car to keep as Backup, since the Series of Unfortunate Events that we faced with our Beloved Subaru "BumbleBeast" after the 7.3 degree Earthquake. I have another car, but my '69 coupé is at my parents' home, far away... 

I believe is a Good Idea to have a Backup Car, so if I need to Fix something on my "BumbleBeast" Subaru, there will be another car available to use, also She want to drive her own car sometimes ... ^_^ ...

So, we Found a LADM (Latin American Domestic Market) Specs Subaru Legacy Wagon... (1990) ...we have not seeing it yet, but by Phone we talked to the owner and he said it was owned by the Local Subaru Dealer's CEO, it is a Sporty Wagon in Dark Golden Champagne Colour with Luxury Rims, also they said that it was a Special Request for the Dealer's CEO to be "Sporty" and has some Upgrades, which they didn't explain Yet ...  :huh: ...

Little is Known about that Subie so Far, and we Expect to Meet the Sellers by the next Saturday, I Will Take Photos of that Subie (if they Allow me to do So) and I'll Post 'em Here.  :) 

But while we meet, I Kindly Ask you for any Advice about that Model, any Idea, anything that might be a Must Check... any advice is Very Welcome!

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo
The car offered was Different than they Said!

Hi JesZeK. We need to know more details--Year? Trim level? Transmission? Mileage? Present condition?

As far as the "rarity," don't let them try to dazzle you with the "special/sporty/CEOs car" stuff. It's just a car, not worth any more than any other similar Subie. Value depends on how well it was maintained (any records?) and your judgment about its present condition.

Now if it's a pre-97 EJ22 it might be an excellent buy. You know, "best engine Subaru ever built" and all!!!

You might want to check for torque bind and smoothness of shifts.

Just check it out carefully and if you have specific questions ask them here.

Good luck. Hope it's a very nice car at a very reasonable price!

• Like 1

Thank you for your Kind Reply!

Seems like the Subie is an EJ20 Wagon from 1994, so Pre '97 like you Said...

Could I Ask you Why it is Known as "The Better Subaru Engine"?

The only other info I Have is That is an 4WD (maybe AWD)

I will Post More info here as Soon as I can.

Kind Regards.

You're very welcome.

Over the years the EJ22 has proven itself to be a very reliable, solid engine. It is not as susceptible to head gasket failure as other EJs. And it was a non-interference design through the '96 model year. Unfortunately it was redesigned for the '97 MY and became an interference type.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Auto Or Manual?

Auto, be wary of, manual should be no problem.

And I believe it will be AWD, not 4WD.

Check to see if it has electronic ignition or a disty.

Check the cleanliness of the engine bay, if its spotless, be worried.

Check for repair receipts, or cleaning receipts, maybe insurance papers in the

glove box.

Ummmm... lots more but I can't think of them right now :-p

Twitch

Well... My Wife and I went to see that Legacy...

it was Very Different than they Said: it was a 1990 Model, not 1994 ( :mellow: ) 

I'll write the New Info in my Usual Blue Text, next to yours:  :D 

Auto Or Manual?

Manual.

And I believe it will be AWD, not 4WD.

Full Time Dual Range (Hi / Lo) 4WD.

Check to see if it has electronic ignition or a disty.

Distribuitor Plus Carburetor... :) ...Smooth working EJ Engine.

Check the cleanliness of the engine bay, if its spotless, be worried.

Nice but Little Rusty.

Check for repair receipts, or cleaning receipts, maybe insurance papers in the glove box.

Only the Original Owner's Manual in Spanish.

Ummmm... lots more but I can't think of them right now :-p

Twitch

Yes, in Example I Asked the Owner about when was the Last time they Changed the Timin' Belt, and he said: "... Huh!? ... What is That!?...  :o ... So seems like it Still Rides with the Original Timing belt since 1990 and it has 198,000 Kms on the Odo!!! ... :eek: ...

I Took some Pictures of it, but since I am Borrowing a Friend-Neighbour Computer to Post here, I Will Post 'em as Soon as I Can.  Please Let me Know what do you Think About.

Kind Regards.

Yes, we have Different Specs in Subarus for Latin America; the LADM (Latin American Domestic Market) Specs are different than USDM; mainly because the local Subaru Dealers depends directly on Fuji Heavy industries (FHi) Japan, they has no relation with Subaru of America (SOA) USA, but also the LADM Specs are Different due to much simplier Taxations and Local Regulations for Cars.

Very Basic talking, these are some of the Differences you can notice on the LADM specs Subarus:

Beside Carburator & Distribuitor on early EJ Engines, We still have Dual Range Transmissions available as "Optional" in Newer Subies, All Models could be ordered with the Dual Range transmission; EXCEPT the Automaticsthe ones featuring Turbo, and the Smaller cars, I've seen Imprezas, Legacies, Outbacks, and Foresters with Dual Range 5MT. 

The average LADM Consumer tends to preffer smaller displacement engines,

So Subaru offered Standard models like the 1.5L impreza, 1.6L Legacy (EJ15 and EJ16) ...

6350225730_b2a1d709fb_o.jpg

...the 1.0L Justy, the 1.3L (EA65) and 1.6L (EA71) Loyales...

Also The Subaru Brat was still available new here up to 1994, and in the Very Last Year of Sales, certain Subaru Dealers had it with the "Optional" EA82 Engine from Factory...

Since This information is very interesting for my Friends in USA, I'll use this thread to Share the Photos & info I have from LADM Subarus, I'll upload more soon ...  :D ...

Kind Regards.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well... I Have been Offline for a While, (I Explained the Reasons ~► here) please excuse me for not Uploadin' the Pics Before, I Have not done that yet but I Will Upload Pics of that Subaru Soon.

While I could do the upload, let me Post a Pic of a Similar Legacy with LADM Specs
(EJ Engine with factory Disty + Carb) Which I serviced some time ago, it is pretty similar to the One that was Offered to me :

EJ22Carbed.gif

How common are the EJ22's with carbs down there? (I thought the carb models were EJ15's or EJ16's?)

I ask for all the folks that would like to have one of those distributors for their EJ22 here in the US.

If you could aquire those distributors (even a few) or get a part number for them there in Latin America.... I'm sure folks here in the states would make it worth your time.

If there are any junk yards down there - the manifold's (if they fit an EJ22) as well as the distributors would be useful up here.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

I will Answer your Questions in my Usual Blue Text, next to yours:  :D 

How common are the EJ22's with carbs down there? (I thought the carb models were EJ15's or EJ16's?)

The EJ15 engines that came with factory Carburator + Distribuitor setup, were available in the Early Imprezas (1993 ~ 1995). Those 1.5L engines are Still Available even in the Newer impreza lineup, but they comes with EFi now.

The EJ16 engines that came with factory Carburator + Distribuitor setup, were available in the Early Imprezas (1993 ~ 1995) and Early Legacies (1989 ~ 1994). Those 1.6L engines are Still Available in the Newer impreza lineup only, but they comes with EFi now.

This is a Picture taken on one Street of "Comayagüela" City in Honduras, a Couple of Subies can be Seen There, you'll Notice that the New Impreza Bears the: "1.6" sign in its Back. Sorry for the Poor Quality Cellphone Picture but it gives the Idea:

IMG0445A.jpg

Also, Early Legacies from 1989 up to 1994 were also available with the EJ18 and EJ20 engines, featuring factory Carburator + Distribuitor setup, and by the ones I have Seen and Repaired, plus the Dealer's service Books, I Can tell you that the Carburated EJ models' intake Manifold (LADM Specs EJ engines), does have the Water crossover integrated on them, like the Older EA engines, So I believe that those LADM intakes Won't fit nor bolt on directly to the USDM EFi EJ Engines.

The Distribuitors Used by Subaru on their Early EJ engines are two different ones, with Different part Numbers. 

The one used on the EJ15 and EJ16 Engines is the Subaru part Number: 22100 - AA460, which is Different than the one used on the EJ18 and EJ20 Engines, which is the Subaru part number: 22100 - AA550.

I ask for all the folks that would like to have one of those distributors for their EJ22 here in the US.

If you could aquire those distributors (even a few) or get a part number for them there in Latin America.... I'm sure folks here in the states would make it worth your time.

Yes, I Know...

Around a Year ago, I Have been Asked by another Good USMB Friend to Search for one EJ Engine's Disty... I Already found those Part Numbers and also took a Picture with my Cellphone of the Dealer's Parts Book for the EJ18, See:

DistribuidorEJ181.jpg

This is a visually enhanced version of that Pic:

DistribuidorEJ182.jpg

The Only Problem is that the Dealer Doesn't have any Distribuitor for sale... and they wasn't able to Ask for it to one to their Providers... I Already asked for one EJ Engine's Distribuitor to the other Central American Subaru Dealers, and I received the same Answer: No one Left available :banghead: it is an "Obsolete" part, out of stock.   :( 

If there are any junk yards down there - the manifold's (if they fit an EJ22) as well as the distributors would be useful up here.

GD

Yes, we have Lots of Junk Yards here, called Locally as "Yonkers" as you can see Photos & info ~► Here, but those only have Parts from Vehicles that came from USA ... :eek: ... Really, (Usually crashed vehicles from USA, sold by insurance companies) No Local Vehicles allowed there; also here cars seems to Last Forever due to NO Salty Roads and our Caribbean Warm templated Climate, but when a Car becomes unuseful, in example involved in a Crash, usually the owner is the one who sells it in Parts, So that's not Easy to find a Crashed Legacy here...

I Asked for help to find that Disty to Lots of People... my Dad too and he has Friends who travel in 18 Wheeler Trucks all across Central America, they searched for it too... Long story Short: I Just found one Used EJ Distribuitor available in Costa Rica, but it was Damaged.
(Burnt Module I Guess)

Lots of LADM specs Legacies can be seen Runnin' Great Here and is very Rare to find one for Sale, That was one of the Reasons I was very Happy with the one I Found for Sale, untill I Heard the Price...

Kind Regards.

Upload a Picture
  • Like 1

Seems like the Rustier Part was the Brake Booster!

The only Problem with that Subie was its Price... here in Honduras, used cars are expensive... this Lego is for Sale at around $ 2,500.ºº
(Lps. 50,000.ºº "Lempiras" ... Our Currency) and it have some Small Hits... but the Worst part is the Power Mirrors' Switches: They're completely Broken, at the point that the Actual Owner did Screwed directly to the Plastic buttons, some Screws for Wood ... :eek: ... to have the Option to "Hold" the Control and Make 'em Work!

So, my Wife didn't Like it, only me ...  ^_^

Seems like the Rustier Part was the Brake Booster!

The only Problem with that Subie was its Price... here in Honduras, used cars are expensive, this Lego is for Sale at around $ 2,500.ºº (L. 50,000.ºº "Lempiras" ... Our Currency) and it have some Small Hits... but the Worst part is the Power Mirrors` Switches: They`re completely Broken, at the point that the Actual Owner did Screwed directly to the Plastic buttons, some Screws for Wood ... :eek: ... to have the Option to "Hold" the Control and Make `em Work!

So, my Wife didn`t Like it... Just me...

Plenty of power mirror switches available here in US wrecking yards. I would be happy to send a couple to you if you are interested. Cost would be what I would buy them at, plus postage. Happy to help!

Well... Finally I Uploaded the Pictures of that Legacy D/R 4WD Wagon Placed Next to my Yellow Subie

:)

CarbdDistyEJSubie3.jpg

CarbdDistyEJSubie4.jpg?t=1253620021

CarbdDistyEJSubie5.jpg?t=1253620065

CarbdDistyEJSubie1.jpg

CarbdDistyEJSubie2.jpg

CarbdDistyEJSubie6.jpg

CarbdDistyEJSubie8.jpg

CarbdDistyEJSubie7.jpg

Hey, that's the same color as my Xandra! (90 lego) :)

And unfortunately it seems they both like to get hit on the passenger side :-\

Ah well, as long as its not rusting out from underneath you, keep'er running! :D

Twitch :)

Plenty of power mirror switches available here in US wrecking yards. I would be happy to send a couple to you if you are interested. Cost would be what I would buy them at, plus postage. Happy to help!

Oh, Thank You! ... You`re So Kind!

The Problem is that my Wife Didn`t Like that Wagon, Specially for the Price and the Small Problems it Have; also I Mistakenly Wrote "Power Mirrors' Switches" when the damaged ones are the Power Windows' Switches... But I Really Appreciate your Kind Offer.

Kind Regards.

I Forgot to Mention that the Big Catholic Church that can be Seen in this Picture's Background,

is the World Famous Basilica of our Lady of Suyapa.

CarbdDistyEJSubie3.jpg

Here, a Front Pic of it, taken from Far Away, so you can Notice how Huge it is:

Suyapa1.jpg

Kind Regards.

JesZek, you list your city as Roatan. Do you live on the Islas de Roatan?

As I Explained before, My Parents & Familiy are still there, and That's my Hometown; but due to my Job I Have to Move all Across Honduras from coast to coast and I Don't have a Permanent City to Stay... So I List my Hometown for Easy Reference.

I'll Check my PM inbox Right Now...

Kind Regards.

• 4 weeks later...

Well...

I've received many PM's about the EJ Engines with Factory Carburator and Distribuitor, also regarding about the Dual Range EJ Transmissions, and their Part numbers...

So I decided to turn this Thread in a Source of Information about the LADM (Latin American Domestic Market) Specs Subarus, to share information & Photos about the Non-USDM Specs Subarus, not only from the LADM, but from the Rest of the World.

Lets Share the Info!  ...  :D ...

Kind Regards.