Ultimate Subaru Message Board

03 Outback H6

Put 4 brand new tires on 3 months ago. Should have got an alignment, but ended up putting it off. Starting to get a binding type of noise when going from a stop making a sharp left turn (only when you give it a decent amount on the throttle), sometimes noise sounds like it's coming from the rear sometimes it sounds like it's coming from the front. When I come to a dead stop and turn the wheel as far as it will go and do a 360 slowly (idling) no noise. Front Drivers Tire is worn a bit on the edges, front passengers side seems to be worn quite a bit on the edges, both rear tires still look virtually knew. Should I get 4 new tires and and alignment? Or should I rotate these tires and get and alignment? (My currently tires are not directional, so I can rotate them to whereever) Also 6 months ago my subaru guy told me I should replace both front and back sway bar links, could this have anything to do with the noise?

- As a side note, I had my transmission completly rebuilt about 1 year ago. (not due to torque bind, but was getting a loud grinding noise)

Wow, that's a lot of craziness for such a new vehicle.

Have your transmission fluid flushed/changed immediately.

Check your tires make sure they're the right pressure and the same size. That being said yours is definitely hosed up, probably due to someone not reinstalling struts properly or something else.

Without knowing how bad your tires are, test your air pressure first then go get an alignment, it's obvious someone screwed it up at some point. throw your worst tires on the back and get as many miles as you can out of them.

Transmission fluid was changed about 5 months ago. I'm gonna throw those tires on the back today, and have a call in to schedule an appointment with the dealer. Other then the noise when you mark a sharp/quick left off a stop I have no other symptoms, do you think there is anything else in the suspension that may cause this type of noise/ it's almost like a creaking/binding noise. I'll see if the noise goesaway once the tires are switched.

Transmission fluid was changed about 5 months ago. I'm gonna throw those tires on the back today, and have a call in to schedule an appointment with the dealer. Other then the noise when you mark a sharp/quick left off a stop I have no other symptoms, do you think there is anything else in the suspension that may cause this type of noise/ it's almost like a creaking/binding noise. I'll see if the noise goesaway once the tires are switched.

Lotsa stuff can make noise. It doesn't seem like torque-bind, but your front end may have worn tie rods and/or ball joints or there may be bad busj=hings (front or rear), or bad wheel bearings.

Dave

Lotsa stuff can make noise. It doesn't seem like torque-bind, but your front end may have worn tie rods and/or ball joints or there may be bad busj=hings (front or rear), or bad wheel bearings.

Dave

Well I did some more investigation. Had someone else drive my car in a parking lot while I listened. Noise is coming from drivers side front suspension area. CV boot on that side has a big hole, also the inner tie rod boot has a hole as well. Wheel bearings were replaced within the last 6 months, so I'm thinking the CV joint or inner tie rod might be to blame? Also rotated my tires, doesn't appear to be an issue, I measured the circumference of all 4 tires, they were within 1/4" of each other. After hearing the noise from outside it's not really a binding but more of a creaking type of noise (again only hear it right when you take off making a hard sharp / fast left turn).

Ended up being a front axle on the drivers side causing the noise. I live in Canada but am travelling to Maine and nh next week, anyone know of any good subaru dealers in either of those states I could get a decent price on an axle?