Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bad battery? Starter? Alternator?

Ok...

I got in my car this morning to go to my folks place...I turned the key to start it and my alarm started going off but, it was sorta quiet and the car wouldn't start, all the dummy lights came on like usually but, the volts were reading low...So after a few more tries being unsucessful, I turned on my headlights then started the car....Fired right up! Hmmmm

So, I made it to my parents house with totally normal charge, turned the car off and had the same problem with starting.

I've had my car hooked up to the battery charger for about 2 hours and I just went out to try to start it but, to no avail. I can hear the starter engaging and trying to go but it feels like there's no juice in the battery.

Any questions, comments, answers?

Could be your battery cables aren't as tight as they could be, or there's gunk in there. Try removing the battery cables, clean both battery terminals with a wire brush. You'll also have to clean out the insides of the cable terminals, too (if you can't get a wire brush in there, scrape them out with a knife). There's a special tool made especialy for this job, called a "battery terminal cleaner"..couple of bucks at the parts store.

When re-connecting, make sure the connections are tight.

My roo did the same thing, and the ignition contacts were worn out on the inside. Replaced it with one i scored from the J. yard. Check the plug connection on back of ignition . My co-worker Marcy wanted to be part of the SUABRU board and She says hello!!!:wave: :wave: Hope this helps -Sean

If you know that your battery is good. The next step i would do is look at your battery cables for corrosion and do a voltage drop test from the battery to the starter. That will tell you if there is too much resistance (oxidation) in that cable, hence how the solinoid on the starter is clicking, but it doesn't have enough "juice" to turn the engine over. (especially if the cable is 20 years old with the car)

I'm voting for the solenoid contacts on the starter with ru4x4ever. Take off the starter, unscrew the three phillips screws from the solenoid cover, and pull out the plunger. If it's pitted and the contacts look like they're almost gone, that's probably the problem. You can get new contacts and plunger at any electrical rebuilder and some parts stores (not NAPA, however!)

Of course, you want to rule out the battery being bad or corrosion on the cables first as stated before.