Ultimate Subaru Message Board

AWD Conversion

Hi I have a 86 GL Sedan and I was interested in doing a AWD conversion to it. I am curious as to the logistics of the conversion and what parts I would need to gather to do it.

Im tired of not being able to keep up my with my friends WRX when we go to the mountains... ;)

find a 90 loyale with a 4eat and call it good, these i think are all turbo cars, might be wrong about that, one thing i do know....

yea its turbo but at the same time its still only 1.8l and its moving 4 wheels instead of 2 and you lose what....25% of your power with the 4eat?

although i bet they are easier to swap a better engine in being that it does have a 4eat. bell housing wires and radiator is pretty much it i think.

aside from that i think your other bet is swap the entire drive train from a legacy or imprezza or something and fabricate up ALOT of stuff for it to all fit.

So your car is currently 2WD or 4WD?

Are you wanting to go to 4WD, FT4WD, or AWD?

For starters, you aren't going to keep up with that WRX unless you invest more money than a used WRX would cost into an '86 GL. You don't have the engine, you don't have the grip, you don't have the suspension, and you don't have the brakes.

GD

Hi I have a 86 GL Sedan and I was interested in doing a AWD conversion to it. I am curious as to the logistics of the conversion and what parts I would need to gather to do it.

Im tired of not being able to keep up my with my friends WRX when we go to the mountains... ;)

Learn to drive better :D

If you're goal was to keep up with WRXes, you bought the wrong car. Should've got a WRX.

You could put a newer engine and transmission in your car, that'll help, but its a lot of work and money.

Easier solution, buy my 88 RX w/ EJ25 and AWD trans :lol: It'll keep up with stock WRXes in the mountains. (ask me how I know)

haha I was mostly joking about keeping up with WRXs. anyway I dont feel too bad cause I paid $200 for the GL. I was just curious about making it AWD since everyone says its so easy. Im probably going to get a GC8 coupe after I sell my honda. Cause I want the closest looking thing to a 22b. Man that is the prettiest car ever made(next to the 240Z of course!).