Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Legacy Exhaust Rattle- Need help

My 2003 Subaru Legacy L (2.5L, 5 speed manual) has been a phenomenal vehicle for me. Acquired it with 35k miles and now has 122k miles.

I am currently experiencing an exhaust rattle. It happens only at 2100 rpm. I viewed the car from underneath while my friend revved it to 2100 rpm and I have isolated the rattle to one specific pipe. The pipe is the passenger side half of the y pipe that comes directly out of the motor. All three of the bolts are snug, and I can't seem to figure out why it is loose.

Has anyone had this issue with their vehicle? I am thinking that I can easily replace that one section of exhaust pipe, but I couldn't easily locate a replacement part. Does anyone have any suggestions? Do I need to replace the whole exhaust system (which is in otherwise good conditon)? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Remove the y-pipe and isolate the problem. It is likely to be the inner pipe - that section is double-layered, or a heat sheild. Tack weld the offending bits in place and reinstall. Should be a simple fix - no reason to replace it if it's not leaking and is otherwise functioning normally - they are pretty expensive from the dealer - probably $200 to $300 or more.

GD

Does the section of the Y pipe have a shroud covering it? If so, I would suspect that a portion of the shroud has come loose, and is vibrating.

I have had this problem on both of my OB Wagons. I had a friend rev the motor up to the rpm that resulted in the rattle sound, then hold that rev so the sound would continue. Then, I crawled under the car and pushed/pulled on the shroud with my gloved hand and a screw driver until I found which portion of the shroud was loose. I cured the problem by hammering in a bolt as a wedge between the pipe and shroud to prevent the shroud from vibrating. Other guys have used a screw type hose clamp over the shroud to stop the vibration.

Hope this info helps!

Its a heat shiled easily fixed with vice-grips or a large hose clamp.

Sheet metal vibrations - sometimes a well placed blow with a ball-peen hammer will cure it. We had a customer with a pump that made a "strange noise" - the tech listened carefully to it..... went out to the truck and got his ball-peen hammer - smacked the motor fan shround with it one time.... no charge.

GD