Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sand Lake 8-12-09

TeamCF

This is my story and I'm sticking to it.

Got up around 6 or so and headed on out to sand lake.

About half way there I heard lots of debris going through pipes......

Then the heater turned cold. I forgot to flush when the new engine went in.... :rolleyes:

Rest of the system was working fine so I continued.

Got to sand lake, aired down and went for a lap to see if everyone was already there.

Got back to the lot and mthoodsub had just arrived with his buddy and a quad. Went and messed around till lunch and after lunch we spotted Scott in his new dune machine.

After awhile the group got seperated and it was just me and Scott.

Went down to the beach where Scott fixed a guy's 3-wheeler for him and then flew a kite.

I took a lap to find the missing members of the group.

It was late after the kite flyinf so Scott and his family took off for dinner and I resumed my search.

Found mthoodsub stuck near the beach in a big washed out area of sandy mud. Pulled him out and we farted around on the sand for a while longer so I could get myself stuck too. I had a stupid "more throttle will do it" moment. :grin:

After that we rolled around a bit and then aired up and got out of there.

My stuckage resulted in the right front getting sand in the bead so I had a nice bead leak all the way home. Good thing I brought a spare air compressor.

mthoodsub in a bowl.

ryanbowl.jpg

Group shot.

group1.jpg

Scott flying a kite.

scottflyingkite.jpg

My shame. :lol:

SLstuckfront.jpg

SLstuckrear.jpg

Tried to find China with the rear tire. I don't think I did.

End of the fun.

endoftheday.jpg

Wish I would have gotten more pics but it was raining most of the day and my camera gets janky.

Amazingly enough (well not so amazing, I knew this going in) I find my old street tires were better in the sand for the EA81 power. They didn't have the tread to dig in and make holes. I had a heck of a time getting up hills that were easy before. Now I just dig in more rather than stay on top. Airing down about the same.

Agressive tread is only good if you have lots of HP to spin 'em real fast. Look at the big sand buggies they do tours with (on dunes where they do that) They have giant slicks on them, all four wheels. They just float and don't dig themselves graves.

Edited by TeamCF

Yeah this was last minute that I found I could go.

There's various runs happening all the time.

I think Gregg wants to do a shakedown run either this weekend or the next with his hatch before WCSS.

I'd say 90% of the runs I go on these days never get a post up here or anywhere else. And proly 75% of those I chose to go solo. (I know against the wheeling rules but some days I prefer it that way, just go do my thing)

Been slow lately though as I'm prepping the Soob for the show a bit and it's been taken apart on and off.

We'll all have to get a decent local run going. Like the old days when they would get planned well in advance. (old days... last year... hehe)

Try and get everyone out at once like we've tried a few times.

Just air down and keep it moving. Slowing before the top and then gunning it will make you end up like I did in those couple pics. :grin:

The rule I usually follow (but didn't that time) is on a climb if you start to feel it lose momentum. Just let off and back up before you put the body on the sand.

Great part about dunes is you really have put yourself in a spot to really get stuck. You can feel when it's not going to go anymore. All the skinny pedal in the world will not help, it'll just bury you. Just back off and reverse. :)

Thanks for the tips...never been on dunes before. I take it that you're the resident expert on the Lolo pass area. We'll be headed that way from east WA, and I'd like to do some wheelin, if it's not all closed off.

Not quite an expert.

I still do some "where's this go?" type exploring around there and got myself denyed by a closed gate (that I was on the backside of, a truck drove up to the other side from Hood River at the same time, we both wanted through.) and a washed out bridge.

But I know a few places to play around there. Mostly rough, loose, rocky, powerline trails. Scoobyclimbs knows a bunch of places in the area as well.

Last time I was up I saw a bunch of rock buggies on trailers leaving the area, headed down to Zig Zag. I have no clue where they were at playing.

It was a blast:banana:

I have more and more fun each time i go out there. The quad trails are kick a** fun. Especially when you get a big truck following you then he has to turn around so he doesnt scrape up his shiny toy :lol:

My buddy on the quad got a bunch of pics and a few vids on his phone, which are amazing quality for a phone. Im up loading them now. Will post them up soon.

Here they are....................enjoy:)

Towed a quad out there for my friend.

SandLakewithRon003.jpg

ran into some traffic

SandLakewithRon005.jpg

TeamCF found us in the parking lot

SandLakewithRon007.jpg

SandLakewithRon026.jpg

Broke my flag off running one of the quad trails

SandLakewithRon024.jpg

TeamCF and I played in the small bowl

th_SSPX2749.jpg

th_SSPX2747.jpg

SandLakewithRon031.jpg

got a little held up in one spot

SandLakewithRon031.jpg

SandLakewithRon039.jpg

I was balancing on 2 wheels. I was able to lift up one corner and get a peice of wood underneath and it pulled right out.

SandLakewithRon040.jpg

SandLakewithRon040.jpg

The big bowl where everyone likes to play. It was empty that day. My wagon can make it up one some parts.

SandLakewithRon056-1.jpg

just got myself thru a sharp turn by digging out the sand i was plowing through only to go forward about 10 feet and get stuck in that soft wed sand.

SandLakewithRon057-1.jpg