Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where To Buy Lifting Chain For Engine Swap?

pearlm30

I have an engine hoist but I dont know where to get the lifting chain for engine swap. I looked thru the harbor freight store and all their metal chain has disclaimer that its not for overhead lifting.

So can anyone recommand the correct type of chain to use with a engine hoist for engine swap?

Thanks

I use a beam that has 2 short chains. Has a crank to change the fulcrum(?) point to change the pitch of the engine. I think it was 50 bucks?

Most auto parts that carry "engine crane's" have them.

Otherwise I'd just go to the hardware store. Noone will be under the engine anyways. You're assuming the risk though.

As long as the edges you're lifting from aren't sharp, climbing rope would be fine for any engine that doesn't require a commercial license to drive the vehicle it's from. The tensile strength of climbing rope is several thousand pounds. I suggest using static rope though as the stretch in dynamic rope can be irritating.

While I have used climbing rope for all sorts of activities (climbing included!) I'm not advocating it as a "safe" alternative to the appropriate tools. As always when you are dangling several hundred pounds in the air, use the right tools when available.

If you're lifting a 2.2 or 2.5 there is a tab where the eng/trans meets by where you disconnect the wireing on the back. Then on the drivers front I use the alternator bracket where the AC compressor was. Doesn't perfectly balance but it's not bad. Neither of those are sharp.

I just use whatever chain I have laying around... Usually nothing smaller than 5/16" diameter links, but I have used smaller... Ive pulled Big Block Ford and Chevy motors with the same chains. On a Subaru engine that I can pick up myself, I really dont see the risk being that high... When I buy new chain I get it at Ace becasue its closer, but If I wanted like Grade 8 strength I could go to my local farm fabrication shop, they can get anything... But like I said, what I used works...

-Bill

I have braided steel cable to lift engines with. Slides along the engine hoist hook for proper positioning and is looped for fitment almost anywhere. Unfortunately, I do not remember exactly where I got them from. I have three different lengths for all engines. A few members have seen them in action and will confirm how nice they work.

Now, to answer the original question. You can buy chain at the local hardware, most rental stores and trucking stores will also have a decent selection.