Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 Legacy L - Needs Clutch & Advice

So I bought a 93 Legacy L wagon this weekend, and the main thing it needs is a new clutch. I have a friend who's more mechanically inclined than I am that I intend to ask if he's interested in helping me do this. If not then I'll just have it done at my regular mechanic.

What I would like to know is (1) whether I should order the kit myself... from a place like www.rockauto.com or www.partsgeek.com perhaps. (2) What brand and price is recommended, since they seem to run anywhere from $160 to $250 (not counting the $400+ kits!). And (3) is the 8-7/8" kit the one I need?

Thanks a ton in advance guys! :D This is now officially the newest car I have ever owned... lol :lol:.

I get mine (when I can due to time constraints) from Ebay.

I get the Valeo ones and pay like another 20 bucks to get the one with all American and Japanese parts. For 20 bucks less you get parts from all over the world in the kit.

Valeo is a major OEM supplier. I used to obtain most clutches loacal in a kit named "Rhino Pak" and the actual clutches (and some other components) were Valeo it's just on Ebay they are much cheaper.

I always get the flywheel surfaced - but a lot of folks don't.

Edited by davebugs
typing abilities

Thanks guys... I've heard good things about Exedy, but not any other brands. Good to know Valeo's decent too. Also didn't consider going through eBay. Good call ^_^.

Edit: So here's a couple I found that have a good price but lack some info. First this one (link) just says it's "OEM Japanese," and then this one (link) which is "Phoenix Friction" but states it could be made by one of the other major manufacturers. Either one of these worth considering? The latter is cheaper, so as long as it's made well it would be a good deal...

Edited by mentis

Also, is doing this job on a Legacy L any easier... meaning should I consider doing this myself? Probably not but just thought I'd ask ^_^.

EDIT: Actually found another kit, by Exedy, on Amazon for the lowest price yet... link. So what do you guys think, this Exedy kit or the Phoenix Friction one on eBay???

Edited by mentis

If you decide to do it yourself or with your friend, I would pull the engine up and forward to gain access(use a cherry picker)-NOT drop the transmission with the engine in place. i did the first time did, never again-more work, and most is under the car.

Depending on the miles would replace clutch fork, the ball stud wears through and back apart everything comes to fix it. I got the LUK kit last time from Pep Boys, and INCLUDED the "dealer only" throwout bearing to fork clips that ALWAYS get lost,. Also look at flywheel, if glazed take out and get turned.

good luck

Yeah, I don't think I'll do this one ^_^. Thanks for the tip on the clutch fork though. Haven't come across the LUK brand yet... but still would love to know about the two mentioned above... Trying to find out if the Exedy or Phoenix Friction kits are any good.

I was hoping to find some info online about these brand and/or the various manufacturers, but so far I've turned up nothing. Only thing I keep getting is a bunch of auto parts sites that claim they have what you want in the search result until you actually go to the site :-\.

So I'm really leaning towards getting the Exedy kit... just want to make sure it's the right one. The specs on it say "8-7/8" (225MM) X 1" X 24T SPLINE." It's the second part about 1" x 24t spline that I know nothing about. So I'm hoping one of you guys can confirm that this is indeed what I need...

Clutch kits are pretty generic anymore. The engine puts down 135 HP so clamping force really isn't going to be an issue. If it were me, I would likely buy a reman disc and pressure plate from one of the online sources and then buy high end pilot and TO bearings.

I think you are over-thinking the clutch selection. Disc and pressure plate failures are incredibly rare. Get whatever is in your budget anc makes you comfortable - just don't cheap out on the bearings. If it is cheaper to buy a whole kit and then round file the cheap bearings then so be it.... it is incredibly frustrating to have to go back in to replace a failed TO before the clutch has reached the end of it's life because you then may as well do the whole shootin match again... thus my goal is always to avoid premature bearing failure at all costs. Buy those at the dealership if you can't find any other source you trust.

GD

Thanks GD. Always appreciate your insight! I went ahead and ordered the kit from Amazon. It's an Exedy kit, and also happened to be the cheapest option, so I feel pretty good about that.

Regarding the bearings, would you elaborate why filing a "cheaper" bearing would make it better? I am considering ordering the bearings from 1stsubaru.com, on account of them carrying the same OEM parts as the dealers if I'm understanding it correctly. I'll compare their online prices to what's available locally and we'll see what the difference is ^_^.

I talked with a guy at 1stsubaruparts.com today, think his name was Kent, who said that my car DOES have a pilot bearing. At this stage I'm more inclined to believe my local dealer and you, GD... cause that's two against one ^_^.

However, I wanted to make sure before ordering the bearings from them. Any other way that I can confirm whether I need the pilot bearing on this one?

You do have a pilot bearing, the dealer part number is,

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b11/type_5/engine/flywheel/

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/oe_parts_cat.html

I suggest you asses the condition of the fork boot and get another. Might also be a good time to change the clutch cable.

Good luck!

Will-

Thanks you very much for the information and links. I noticed that the schematic you linked said "4WD" and mine's 2WD. So I looked that up instead, and the schematic was the same. I guess either way it does have that pilot bearing in there...

Cool... thanks again. So one more question before I order that bearing... the site lists two bearings... link

One is the "all models, w/o justy" for under $9 and the other is the "all models, w/ justy" for under $17. The part number listed by lostinthe202 refers to the first one. Going by the description, the second one should also work and I'm wondering if there is any point in spending an extra few bucks on that? I wouldn't care with it being such a small difference if it meant the bearing was better...

But as GD said before, I'm over thinking this and it probably doesn't matter all that much... ^_^.

Justy is a model of Subaru, so one could infer that the pilot bearing that is "all models, w/Justy" means that that bearing will work for all models between '91 and '94. It may mean there is a flange on the bearing to keep it from sliding through the flywheel on a Justy or some other difference that doesn't prevent it from working on other models.

On the other hand, following the catalog diagrams for a 2wd legacy L, the part number given (listed below the diagram) is 806212020 which if plugged into one of the online parts catalogs gives you the "all models w/o Justy" bearing. I'd go with the part number myself.

Will-

Thanks guys, I will stick with the part number. Might call to confirm, but the clips question would be good to know about as well. I already ordered new clips for the release bearing, but I guess the pilot bearing uses clips too?

Got my Exedy clutch kit in yesterday ^_^. I took it out of the boxes to check it out and snapped a couple photos...

th_legacy-clutch-cover.jpg th_legacy-clutch-kit.jpg

As it turns out, the manufacturer for this kit is Daikin. Also, seeing that the components were made in Japan made me feel better about the purchase. Going on GD's recommendation, I ordered OEM bearings and won't be using the ones in the kit. I also opted to order clips and the fork. Might as well get that done while we're at it ^_^.

Don't know how fast of a delivery to expect from 1stsubaruparts.com, but those bearings should be here sometime next week. I'm looking forward to getting this done and driving my new Sube!