Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1996 Chevy Lumina -Master cyl?

I dont know anything about ABS.... but the master on my Dad's lumina seems to have suddenly gone empty. Filled it up and pushed and pushed and repushed but we cant find any leaks. I tried to bleed it.... the front passenger side was on... no air but at least I had fluid. The other side diddnt even make any pressure ... no air no fluid nothing. My First guess was the master but then this thing has a ABS modulator connected to the master and at this point I told Dad im just not qualified to diagnose this one. Haynes says not to seperate the abs mod from the master... but I dont know...

Any Ideas?

Thus far his mech isnt returning our calls and its not really safe to drive... but that old man has a major stubborn streak.

Will the Abs mod go right back on the new master? The book says something about special tools... but the new master dosent look that complicated.

Thanks

Robert

Check the inside of the power brake booster vac line. Is it wet? Does it smell like brake fluid? If so the master cylinedr is leaking at the power brake booster. Remove the cylinder (unbolt it) and see if it is wet there. This is actually a common failure mode.

nipper

Im inclined to agree.... but my real problem is that the ABS mod is bolted to the master and im not sure its safe to remove it. All the brake lines go into the ABS Mod....

Also... no brake pressure on the driver side.... never seen this one before... but It could be either part.

thanks

Robert

Drivers side front or rear or both?

Its a diaganol braking system, you may have a bad psitojn in the MC.

Its safe to remove it, its just plumbing and a flow through design. But you should look in a manual or find a lumina community (there is one for everything why not this) and check.

nipper

To Tell you the truth I was so shocked at the drivers front not having any pressure.... I just figured the master has a blowed O-ring...

The Haynes book says dont take it apart.... but it looks fairly simply... 2 connections and I think.. 2 bolts to the master.... the master itself has 2 bolts to the vac assist.

I just dont want to take it apart and have to tow it to get it finished...

Sigh

Robert

Got the master changed but dont really understand the ABS stuff. I pretty much took it apart and put back together like it said. Started to bleed it and then the leak made itself known.... about the center of the car to the passenger side rear wheel. I examined the line myself.... and it fell apart in my hand.

Told my Dad what to get and I should finish it on sunday, Should be an easy 90Degree bend to the slave.... Gave this the part of the old line to match it up.

Robert

All Done and it really diddnt take that long.

The link was a must... w/o the computer dongle to tell the abs modual to use the back brakes it could have taken a while to figure out that all you had to do was drive back and forth a bit. I would have figured it out but the link was a big help.

So My Dad is very happy.... And I learned a bit about ABS... early GM abs anyway.

Thanks for the help!

Robert

My Dad asked me to bleed the brakes again today. I think there was just a hint of air in the ABS Modual. None that I could see at the slaves.

But this made both my folks happy....

My Dad is my Mom's world....

Meanwhile.... this car seems to need a fan... got maybe 2 coolant leaks and has a bad sensor (coolent level). Can you say Freeze out plug?

Ick.

Robert

Edited by robertwheeler
fumble fingers

Turns out its a leaking intake that GM was to have fixxed sometime ago. This is really a job I dont want to do.... But just in case... Does anyone have the low down on removing the intake off a chevy 3100 engine for this 1996 lumina?

I doubt I can screw it up much more then GM has already.

Thanks

Robert

I like felpro too....

I think im going to have to do this and may be twice.... do you have a blowup/procedure to remove the intake for this engine?

Looks like I remove the plenem (spelling?) and under it is the intake and all the injectors....it looks like you can pretty much pop out the center... w/o removing the injectors...

What ya think?

Robert

Edited by robertwheeler
left out a word