Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what do you keep your tools/gear in to prevent it from flying around?

Spiffy

so I'm a little tired of hearing everything in the back of my wagon jump up off the floor and land with a thud every time I'm going over a harsh bump...

right now all my tools are mostly in a milk crate, which is a nice small enclosed rugged space but not great for containing things and keeping them from coming out...

other various bits, come-a-long, 12v air compressor, water, etc I have tucked behind the front seats on the floor...

so...

what does everybody else use to secure their gear when they're bouncing around on the trails? got pics?

seems like a tool box or ammo box bolted to the floor of the cargo area is the simplest answer... but I'd like to know what everybody else is doing...

I recently changed it a bit so I had better spots for my jerry can and water jugs.

But I used some 2x4's (used wood as it's relatively light and easy to work with/ modify as I find different gear needs) and built a frame that is bolted to the floor in the back.

That has eye screws all around it. I use heavy bungee cords criss-crossed to hold everything down. Only things I hear bouncing is the couple things that don't make it under the bungees.

Remember I don't have a back seat or carpet in my Soob anymore. (or a headliner) and more interior panels are destined for the bin. (most are cracked/broke/faded/ect. anyway) So getting to good spots to bolt into the sheetmetal is easy on mine. And there is tons of room to spread everything out in one layer. Making anything I need to get to easy.

I'm gonna be cleaning and reorganizing it all sometime this week for WCSS. I'll take some pics and throw them up. :)

Oh. And I'm thinking of bolting a few ammo boxes down back there too.

Edited by TeamCF

TeamCF, yeah, I'd like to see some pics of how you have everything organized...

grossgary, like those reusable grocery bags? hmmm, I do have a bunch of those not being used... not that I have a lot of places to hook straps to, but I could fix that as well...

mthoodsub, that's a nice setup you have there... unfortunately the ea81 body doesn't have all the cool hidden compartments of newer models... I only have 1 little storage spot on the side by the washer fluid, nothing under the floor...

lostinthe202, are those stock? never seen the back of an outback in any detail... I've though about putting some eyelets back there, as long as they're off to the side so I can still slide big things in there when I need to...

great ideas so far... keep them coming! especially the ea81 setups... I know some of you have to be uber organized and anal about those things like I am... (:

Heres how I do it. I have used this black plastic box in about 6 different rigs. If we take my brothers truck I just move the box over. You can get them almost anyplace, walmart, lowes and homedepot ect. Really cheap, like $30.00. I secure it in my wagon with a strap through the back seats' hold down hooks. In the summer I have two, two ton comalons, bolt cutters, axe, two tow straps, a couple of clevises, kneeling pad, extra jack, big hammer, 1 gallon of coolant, 2 quarts oil, atf fluid, gear oil, small tool box, lug wrench, big blue tarp, and some other small things, first aid kit, toilet paper ect.

In the winter I add my small chain saw, a couple of wool blankets and a couple of heater meals.

Everything fits nicely and stays out of site, quiet and relatively secure. If I am anyplace that there is a chance of flipping over, I put a good carabeener? through the lock hole to keep it closed if I flip.

Here are some pics

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

WHat do you think?

^^

I like, I like.

A little big, but I like the concept :).

They make all sizes. Im sure that you can find one that fits your needs. I will admit that the box causes me to carry more than I used to just because I have the space now.:rolleyes: There are way nicer ones out there too. But I figure why spend the money on an expedition box:slobber:.

Mike

You need a roof rack/basket, Spiff.

Not only does it look radical, it is a functional place with many tie down points. A good spot to throw your full size spare, shovel, axe, chainsaw, 2x4, etc.

For the inside, i use an old school steel coleman cooler in the same fashion that the dude above uses the black box.

Plenty of room for fluids, belts, come-along, chain, whatever.

Except mine was $3 from a yard sale, which makes it better :grin::rolleyes:.

You need a roof rack/basket, Spiff.

Not only does it look radical, it is a functional place with many tie down points. A good spot to throw your full size spare, shovel, axe, chainsaw, 2x4, etc.

For the inside, i use an old school steel coleman cooler in the same fashion that the dude above uses the black box.

Plenty of room for fluids, belts, come-along, chain, whatever.

Except mine was $3 from a yard sale, which makes it better :grin::rolleyes:.

Either coleman or plastic boxes are a great idea. I like to spread out my stuff a bit. A roof rack is great for muddy shovel and tow straps, EA82 stash spots in the back for most everything else. The comealong is still new in the box, so it gets special privileges on the rear floor. I'll be bolting an ammo box in the spare tire area under the hood, just for fluids (and an EJ22 brain someday!)

universal dog gate helps some of the ea82s have an actual tire hold done area for the back for used spares works great for oversize tires I got a pic somewhere I will post it I use the tool boxes yard sell or harbor freight no matter and get creative with tie downs bolt some in or weld whatever I was going to create a tool hanging system for my dog gate but other then that thats all I got

universal dog gate helps some of the ea82s have an actual tire hold done area for the back for used spares works great for oversize tires I got a pic somewhere I will post it I use the tool boxes yard sell or harbor freight no matter and get creative with tie downs bolt some in or weld whatever I was going to create a tool hanging system for my dog gate but other then that thats all I got

The dog gate's also a great idea, in case you do a nose-dive and something becomes unsecured. A steel tool box on the back of your skull may smart a little! :eek:

I dont think I saw anybody say it, but I use a Milk Crate. And its wide enough inside to fit my ammo case snugly. Which is what I keep all my spare nuts & bolts, and other odds-n-ends in. Then there is room left over for a pair of jumper cables, tire iron, and a bag of tools... carb cleaner... brake fluid.

Often I punch holes through the floor of the wagon to run straps through, and the honeycomb in the milk crate gives you plenty of straping down options.

Cleaned it out some today to get it organized again for camping at WCSS.

Pretty much emptied out.

cargoholder1.jpg

Most (but not all) of the stuff that is in the car at all times. (my second shackel is on the car)

cargoholder2thestuff.jpg

Some back in.

cargoholder3.jpg

All of it back in. (except the antifreeze, and I really only carry that right now till I get the cracked block welded. It's just in case the JB lets go)

cargoholder4.jpg

I've jumped it multiple times out at Sand Lake (I found a good small dune with a kicker halfway up one side in the back corner you hit at 50 and land going down the backside.)

And everything stays put. You hear a couple things bounce around here and there but the stuff I don't want flying around stays in it's spot. (not had 2.7 gal of gas or a hatchet hit me in the head yet...)

Edited by TeamCF

backcountrycrui, that's a good place to tie things down...

Greenley, yeah, I plan to get a roof basket at some point... right now I do put my spare up on the roof, but would like to put 2 spares on the roof... I like the idea of using a retro steel Coleman cooler though...

michael appel, the dog gate idea seems pretty good... lay it down and tighten it up to hold everything to the floor so it doesn't hit the rear window... but I don't want my storage solution to get in the way of me getting to the gear... I'm think creative tie-down spots bolted to the floor might be good though...

TheSubaruJunkie, I mentioned that a milk crate is currently what I'm using, but it's not secured... but I don't want holes in the floor to run straps through since I don't want water/air leaking in... but I could seal the holes with some eyelets bolted in... but I also don't want to disrupt the flow of being able to slide large things in there if my buddy suddenly needs help moving a desk...

TeamCF, that's quite the 2x4 rack system you've got goin' on there... unfortunately that takes up too much floor space that might be needed by canine passengers... so I'm looking for a more vertical solution... otherwise a cargo cover would keep things in and prevent them from flying forward and through a window...

my milk crate works pretty well most of the time... and I like that I can take it out and bring it with me if I need to work on the forester or just need more room for cargo when not on a trail needing tools... but when it does start moving I get worried...

so right now I'm thinking I need to put some eyelets in the cargo area (off to the side) to secure my milk crate, and maybe get one of the longer milk crates instead of just the square one... or maybe another square one for the other side behind the wheel well... and then a small net or something to keep the things from coming out of the milk crate... or get some ammo boxes... but I like the size of the milk crates and I'm not sure what sizes ammo boxes come in... all the ammo boxes I've seen have been fairly thin...

TheSubaruJunkie, I mentioned that a milk crate is currently what I'm using, but it's not secured... but I don't want holes in the floor to run straps through since I don't want water/air leaking in... but I could seal the holes with some eyelets bolted in... but I also don't want to disrupt the flow of being able to slide large things in there if my buddy suddenly needs help moving a desk...

You remember when I sunk my wagon right? Water will find ways to get into your car no matter how sealed you think it is. If anything, you want those holes to help drain the water :)