Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ25 headgasket issue.

topherwh

hay yawl, i just got a 98 GC8-L and i am thinking about building a 2.5 to drop in it, i know about the head gasket issues both the DOHC and the SOHC had, and i was wondering if anyone has found a solution to this problem, i've herd about using aftermarket gaskets and head bolts and i was just wondering if anyone had any luck. i was planning to port and polish the heads and cam and megasquirt the motor, as well as the usual headers and intake. i was also wondering how beefy the split case 5-speed man-trans' are, and if its something i need to worry about if i'm pushing horsepower through it? any help or guidence as to these issue would be greatly appreciated. :)

Edited by topherwh

use Subaru OEM headgaskets, they "redesigned" them for the headgasket issue. there's no need for aftermarket bolts and gaskets if the job is properly done - milled heads, properly prepped block and install the gasket correctly.

there are a few cases of repeat issues, but i would suspect most of those were severely overheated or not done properly. if the low percentage risk is uncomfortable you could consider a turbo motor or EJ22.

Subaru requires conditioner to be added to the SOHC EJ25's.

with those mods you're not really going to add hardly any horsepower so you're not going to have any problems with the transmission.

"decent amount of hp" is kind of relative. if you want something that is actually fast, you can read up on wikipedia, google, etc on the limitations of an NA motor.

if you're into it for the tinkering, learning, social, hobby aspect and don't mind putting a lot of time and effort into it even though it won't really be fast (like most of us have done :lol::lol:), then tear it up, what you're talking about sounds like a good start. NASIOC is a good place to look into all sorts of EJ modifications.

Delta Cams makes cams for this engine, i think that's what Qman has? Maybe they have spec's and numbers on their website or here? I've ordered a couple sets of cams from them before. I don't recommend "high lift" cams for a daily driver, get something meant for the streets. I lost braking ability (affects vacuum) and did not drive nice around town. The mild grind street cams were fine.

• 2 months later...
use Subaru OEM headgaskets, they "redesigned" them for the headgasket issue. there's no need for aftermarket bolts and gaskets if the job is properly done - milled heads, properly prepped block and install the gasket correctly.

there are a few cases of repeat issues, but i would suspect most of those were severely overheated or not done properly. if the low percentage risk is uncomfortable you could consider a turbo motor or EJ22.

Subaru requires conditioner to be added to the SOHC EJ25's.

We only got 44K on the new gaskets. The subie taxi cab fleet owner (theirs a lot of them in Alaska) told me last week that they have issues with these new subaru gaskets. Me and a LOTs of others up here are using HG made specilly for AAA theshop subaru in Anchorage with no problems. Several with over 300K on Kirts (owner) HG. I bought a CCR's subaru motor EJ25 DOHC and it sounded like a diesel at 40K and started leaking at 117K. This is after they (Emily and the girl that answers the phone)) told me ""our motors don't knock or have a HG issues.

DON"T BUY A CCR MOTOR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They will tell you anything to sell their JUNK !!!!!

sorry emily but, You wouldn't return any of my phone calls

about what HG will fix this problem.

so Kirt at AAA the shop took care of this problem for me.

I guess this is why CCr only warranties their rebuilds for 36K

The pen is mighter then the sword.