Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Does this sound like a slipping belt?

You don't hear the squeal?

Make sure that the crank pulley isn't loose or wobbling -- it's a common cause of accessory belt squeal. If that's okay, and you want to verify the noise is coming from an accessory belt, lightly spray the belt with water. The noise will stop or change significantly while wet.

Make sure that the crank pulley isn't loose or wobbling -- it's a common cause of accessory belt squeal. If that's okay, and you want to verify the noise is coming from an accessory belt, lightly spray the belt with water. The noise will stop or change significantly while wet.

Well I changed the T-belt about 5 months ago I brought a Tq wrench just for that job.. I can check again but I doubt it got loose since I had a Subaru meet and I saw first hand what happens when a crank pully will eat up the key.

I will try the spray tomorrow morning.

my 2.2 was making a noise like that turned out to be the PS pump went out it had alot of shaft play

Hmm the pump does have a little leak.. never thought it would be something like that given how free the pulley spins without a belt on it I'd figured it would make the sound way before it got that high..

I will check that too tomorrow providing we don't get flooded out what's left of this hurricane.

Ok took off the belts.. now here is the really weird part...

If I move the throttle from the engine bay no squeal at all.. but if I move the throttle from inside the car I get the squeal...

Any guesses? I'd need a 2nd person to film while im in the car since I can't find my tripod plate :mad:

That does seem strange. Can you tell for sure that the squeal is coming from the engine bay?

Yes it does sound like it is however I can't narrow the sound down more until I get someone to hold my camera.

after putting the belts back on I went on the highway and hung around 4K when it started and proceeded to test if i backed off a little but still on the throttle it would go away but as soon as I gave a little more throttle the sound was back..

As you can see it's fairly loud.. WRX owners say it sounds like a Blow-Off valve.

but why would it only make the sound when i pressed the throttle in the car but not make the sound when moving the throttle from the throttle body?

When you press the throttle in the car, are you sitting in the car? What happens if you remain outside, but reach in and press it? (In other words, is your weight on the seat perhaps shifting something?)

When you press the throttle in the car, are you sitting in the car? What happens if you remain outside, but reach in and press it? (In other words, is your weight on the seat perhaps shifting something?)

Sitting in the car or pressing it with one foot while standing at the door.

This has become a big mystery now since I thought it would be pretty easy to track.