Ultimate Subaru Message Board

14" rim off road tires

Andy FitzGibbon

Thanks for the tip on the Bighorns. I see that Maxxis also makes the Buckshot mudders in 27-8.50X14. They look slightly more aggressive than the Bighorns.

I was disappointed to see that BFG dropped the 14" size from both the AT and MT line.

So far the Generals are cheapest at $86 each from Tire Rack.

Anybody know of others?

Thanks,

Andy

Firestone Destination A/T, they come in 14" sizes. 225/70/14 measures 26.5"

I'm running the Falken Radial AP. They are an RV tire that has a mild AT tread. Kind of a 4 row knobby type thing. Not as many plies as the better A/Ts and such but only about $80 a pop and I love them so far.

Mine are 205/75/14 (26.1" tall).

They come in all kinds of bigger sizes to. Only problem is they typically are a special order from the factory.

Thanks for the tip on the Bighorns. I see that Maxxis also makes the Buckshot mudders in 27-8.50X14. They look slightly more aggressive than the Bighorns.

The smallest size i've seen in the Maxxis Buckshot was 29", so i didn't mention it.

Tread pattern very similar to BFG/Khumo M/T. You shouldn't be disappointed.

A couple tires I wish they still made:

Kumho Venture MTs & The Cooper Discoverer STT's. Both tires used to be available in a 205/75R14 size which was about 26.1" and worked perfectly on most mildly lifted subies (take a look at Greenleys ride for instance).

When I bought my Kumho's I was told I got the last set TireRack.com had in stock and was not planning on ordering anymore. Then I heard Kumho pulled that size, but then re-released it and then pulled it again. Maybe do some homework and find a used set or a shop somewhere who might have old stock on hand.

When I bought my Coopers (about 6 years now) I knew they were pulling that tire size soon. So i called around to all the local cooper tire dealers asking about that tire & size, and lucked out. I found a shop in West Sacramento that had 3 in the back they could not sell and gave me a killer deal on them along with ordering 1 more to make a complete set.

Both tires worked extremely good off-road and shared the same dog-bone style tread pattern. The kumho's did feel stiffer and appear to be a better overall tire but both were still awesome off-road!

• 2 weeks later...