Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No 3ed gear, infamous governor problem?

I lost 3ed gear in my AT3 ’87 GL wagon, just revs like its in neutral and it wont shift to 2ed by its self, I have to put it in 2ed. 1st and reverse seem fine, as does second once I shift it, 4WD seems fine. Is this the infamous governor problem or something else? Bad vacuum modulator (I doubt this, it would explain the no shift but not the slip). Also, does the governor valve problem always come with the “apple cored� gears or are they separate issues?

I guess I’ll tear into it, hope I can get it fixed for work tomorrow, but it doesn’t look good.

Gary

Well that seems to have been it, I removed the governor, disassembled it, dressed all edges on both valve parts with a stone then 600 grit paper in the drill press, cleaned and reassembled, and all is right.

I wouldn’t have know where to look without info from this board …

Once Again the Day is Saved, Thanks to the USMB

Many thanks guys

Gary

P.S. the gear on the governor looked good so I’m assuming the one in the tranny is ok, this is a non-turbo car and the gear was steel so maybe it has been changed before? Also, I was able to chuck up the bigger valve spool piece in my drill press buy wrapping some electrical tape around the expanding arbor for my Dremel sanding drum. Those Dremels are one of the best tools ever.