Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My new 1981 brat!!!

I just picked this up for $400 last night. I have plans to fix her up real good. It runs and drives. I'm very excided to have the only year gen 1 BRAT that came with the EA81 running gear. I'll post photos of the progress along the way.

Here are some as it sits now.

dsc04419k.jpg

dsc04421v.jpg

:banana:

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The interior is okay. The dash doesn't have any cracks, but the seats have some small tears in them and it's missing some stuff. So I'm looking for the center console part where the stereo is suppose to go. PM me is any one has one.

I did just notice it has a GL quad headlight grill, but it has a DL dual headlight valance panel... Also I have a couple of those radio consoles, but they have been cut up a bit from previous owners, but I could let one go for 5 bucks or so... I have a good one I could let go for some new HotWheels stickers, I lost a set when the RX burned up... Im guessing Brown interior?

-Bill

I did just notice it has a GL quad headlight grill, but it has a DL dual headlight valance panel... Also I have a couple of those radio consoles, but they have been cut up a bit from previous owners, but I could let one go for 5 bucks or so... I have a good one I could let go for some new HotWheels stickers, I lost a set when the RX burned up... Im guessing Brown interior?

-Bill

Heck yes! Brown is right, and you've got yourself a deal. Decals for good one?

Sounds good to me, Ill go dig it out this week :banana:

-Bill

PM me your address so I can get your decals in the mail. Let me know if you have anymore sweet GEN 1 BRAT stuff you want to sell or trade. Like I said I going to put this thing back to very good stock form. This is a one year only BRAT and deserves to look it's best.

Thanks, earl

Bill I believe all the gen 1s had that front valence panel on them. both my '78 Brat and my '79 wagon (with quad rounds) had the same valence panel as the single rounds.

Nice score Poop, wish I could have found that. I miss my gen 1 Brat in a bad way.

Incorrect sir, I have 7 Gen 1 brats at hand as of this moment, 3 of which have the big dual headlights (DL) and 4 with the quads (GL) and none of the GLs have the DL valance.... HOWEVER, the wiring IS in the harness for the quad headlights in ALL Gen 1 Brats, regardless of trim level. If you have a DL look behind the headlight sometime and you will see the extra plug ;) so swapping to the GL setup is as easy as changing the buckets and the grill and pluging it in. :banana:

Personally I am partial to the DL look :)

-Bill

PM me your address so I can get your decals in the mail. Let me know if you have anymore sweet GEN 1 BRAT stuff you want to sell or trade. Like I said I going to put this thing back to very good stock form. This is a one year only BRAT and deserves to look it's best.

Thanks, earl

Hey man, if you ever feel like taking a trip up my way, I have a ton of Gen 1 stuff, I might have more stuff that you need, you never know... Ill PM you my stuff and get that consol out of the shed for ya.

-Bill

• 2 weeks later...

I've started on the BRAT. It's the tear down phase. I'm going to start and finish the interior first. I've got everything out and the small amounts of rust fixed. No holes in the floor board!:banana:

I drop the BRAT off at the upholstery shop on Monday to get the carpet, back panel and kick panels done. This BRAT will look and smell like new on the inside. I should have it all put together by next weekend. I can't afford to do the seats right now so I'll just go with some good tan sheep skin covers. I'll post some before and after photos.

• 2 weeks later...

So I've almost got the interior completely finished. I still need a few small things & a stereo with speakers. Next is to work on the body and paint.

BEFORE:

dsc04466a.jpg

dsc04467v.jpg

dsc04468r.jpg

dsc04472t.jpg

dsc04480.jpg

dsc04481.jpg

AFTER:

dsc04484.jpg

dsc04483t.jpg

dsc04482q.jpg

Next time you see it, it should have the body and paint finished. After that comes the motor.