Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Goofy windshield wiper question.

Mine did that when the windshield was only a little wet.. it would stop when the rain really started coming down.. I found that putting a little rainX on there helped the problem quite a lot. Being a washington native(up until about 7 months ago, I lived about 20 minutes from you), I am a firm believer in the powers of RainX:D

I have found that the mounting method of your wipers can make some difference. I have wipers from NAPA and they can clip on the arm OR screw on to the arm. The angle changes each way. I currently have them screwed on and they skip a bit. Rain X is nice at first... but after afew years the film on your window isnt that nice :(

Good thing I am getting a new windshield tomorrow (and new wiper blades)

You may just need to change the angle that the wipers are contacting the windshield. Especially since we have the sidesaddle type of mount, they can be bent wrong where you get skipping one direction and smearing the other. Bend the adapter towards the direction of the skipping and test until you get them to work right.

The other option is that you may have a buildup of something on your windshield that won't come off under normal cleaning. There is a product from No Touch called Glass Stripper which can take off crap you didn't even know was on the surface.

I also had that problem till I installed a little thing called a wiper snuggy....the spring that holds the wiper arm is old and kinda loose on mine....tried bending the arm itself, but didnt help much.

wiper snuggies can be purchased at you fav auto parts store (car quest, advance, etc) or a truckstop - they come in black and chrome, sold in pairs, naturally, for around $5...metal rod with a loop and two hooks in it...one end installs at the base of your wiper arm below the pivot point, the other end further up near the middle of the arm...pulls the arm towards the windshield...works great. Only thing you have to remember is to unhook the upper end if you want to pull the wiper away from the windshield for cleaning with a squeegee at the gas station.

A little bit of a pain to get the bottom end in the right position, but once you do, the upper end slips over the arm easily.

HHHmmmm. Do you think I will be able to walk out of the parts store without being laught at for asking if they carry wiper snuggies?:D :D :D :D

No, just kidding. I will check into that. I tried binding the arms the other day and it didn't help any.