Ultimate Subaru Message Board

repair hole in fuel filler neck

JB weld, fuel tank repair epoxy. You could even solder/braze a patch on if you're really good with a torch. JB is quicker though.

IMO soldering/brazing on the neck of a gas tank with a torch is a bad idea. Just too easy to cause an explosion from the gasoline fumes.

IMO soldering/brazing on the neck of a gas tank with a torch is a bad idea. Just too easy to cause an explosion from the gasoline fumes.

I never said to do it while its on the car. :-p

Although if you filled the tank with gas all the way to the very top of the tube you could. :grin: (maybe)

2000 OBW, 130,000

I have been wanting to do some prevent maintenance on the fuel fill pipe. My tech told me to clean it and spray undercoat on it. I'm not much of gearhead and I am having a hard time getting to it. Can someone tell me how to get at it properly? Maybe some illustrations?

Thanks in advance

Lefty

I never said to do it while its on the car. :-p

Although if you filled the tank with gas all the way to the very top of the tube you could. :grin: (maybe)

Todays 'don't do this but it's safe':

I had a 1983 yamaha Seca 900 (XJ900RK) and there was a chunk of gas tank space that was not usable because a collar extended down into the tank, with a very small bleed-hole at the top of the collar. If you filled up beyond the bottom of the collar, you had to drip the gas in because the bleed hole was so small.

I decided to drill the bleed hole larger, so of course the question is-

1) remove tank and purge of fumes

2) do it on the bike, tank with only a little gas in it

3) do it on the bike, filled up all the way

I'm too lazy to take the tank off the bike, so obviously I did (3).

Dave