Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Red Sedan Build , solid rear axle

Scott in Bellingham

OK started a new build

Ive seen to many broken rear axles and stub shafts so this ones getting a small import truck rearend

picture.php?albumid=176&pictureid=1590

here it is in all its glory, been sitting a few, its a DL 2wd stick, has no engine or tranny , got it just down the road, a Free one, this is the good side other side was used for shotgun target practice,

Not sure how its all going to turn out but it will have a solid rear axle, looks like I may use a Datsun truck rearend thats what I have in the shop right now, may go with a toyota rear, the datsun ratio looks to be around 4.37 thats a guess , so with a 3.9 up front I could run 31s in the rear and 28s up front, looks like a 6-7" lift is in order, will move the front drive ahead 1- 1/2" moter options not sure its setup for the EA82 FI, I could stay with that, I have A EA81 I could plop in there or I could go the EJ22 route for starters I might keep it stock EA82 FI cause its all set up and I have a moter,

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pulled it home with a towbar and I got about a mile down the road and it got really hard to pull, checked it out and the front passenger side brake disc was glowing red/orange and smokin so checked the E-brake it wasnt on so I thought about it and wondered if the hill holder was stuck, so I checked it and it was ,I released it and no probs after that,

got the rearend were I want it , did a bunch of trimmin behind the tire , looks like I will be using the front of the leaf springs as 2 links and cut them short just behind the axle then use a panhard or maybe a diagonal brace from the axle to the front pivot area , will see how it gos once I get the front braces welded up and do a flex test, maybe use some longer springs like off a jetta or maybe some air shocks we'll see ,

Talked to Monstaru at length looks like a EJ22 with a Delta torque grind may be in the future, I want to keep the stock soobie trans , dont really want the extra weight of a front diff and a t-case also loosing center ground clearance with the tcase addition , also put a wagon rear glass in the door its all the same except the back top corner is 2" to long want to see if theres a way to cut the glass to fit

:banana:

got the rearend were I want it , did a bunch of trimmin behind the tire , looks like I will be using the front of the leaf springs as 2 links and cut them short just behind the axle then use a panhard or maybe a diagonal brace from the axle to the front pivot area , will see how it gos once I get the front braces welded up and do a flex test, maybe use some longer springs like off a jetta or maybe some air shocks we'll see ,

Nice work, Scott! I'll inspect it tomorrow. :grin:

Talked to Monstaru at length looks like a EJ22 with a Delta torque grind may be in the future, I want to keep the stock soobie trans , dont really want the extra weight of a front diff and a t-case also loosing center ground clearance with the tcase addition , also put a wagon rear glass in the door its all the same except the back top corner is 2" to long want to see if theres a way to cut the glass to fit

:banana:

Would the delta mod even be necessary? Granted you have extra weight in the rear, but the 2.2 should provide ample power, plus it would be cheaper...what'cha got, $50 into this build!?! On the glass, maybe a wet tile saw would work? I could get a rental from work, if you have any test glass laying around. :lol:

this moshine will have all that Ive learned about wheelin put into it, I want to stick to the soobie trasnsaxle so yes some more low end torque is required to make up for lack of gears , will also need to beef up the front radias rod area as thats ben a bending issue for me and also run rub rails and door bars are in line , got to keep it light tho

Edited by Scott in Bellingham
detail

Just wondering, This shop you speak of, is it your place of work or just something on your property (Hobbie type of thing)

-Tom

Im on 5 acres has a house and 30 x 48 shop , mostly hobbie, have welders Mig and arc , milling machine ,lathe press aluminum foundry

Edited by Scott in Bellingham
add detail

Im on 5 acres has a house and 30 x 48 shop , mostly hobbie, have welders Mig and arc , milling machine ,lathe press aluminum foundry

5 acres and a 30x48 building! Thats cool, I want some of these goodies (But first we need a bigger garage)

Sounds like all you need is a Plasma cutter and a case of Miller Lite :-p