Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how do i remove the transmission output seals ?

so i have an 81 4WD wagon and the seals on the transmission outputs ( to the CV axles )are leaking on either side.

the problem i have is i cant figure out how to get the old seals out without damaging something. can i just shove a screw driver in between the output shaft and the old oil seal then pry it out without hurting anything? it looks like i might hurt something that way but thinking about it now im fairly sure it would be ok.

on EA82, ER, and EJ stuff you have to unscrew the retaining ring on the outside of the trans. im' assuming EA81 is the same. knock it around to loosen and unscrew. keep in mind this part sets the backlash inside the front diff and is critical to install exactly in the same position. so you need to mark it's position and COUNT how many times it unthreads, then install the same number of revolutions to reinstall.

i dont think i have anything like that on the 81 but ive never worked on this part before and my haynes manual almost pretends that these oil seals dont exist.

i wish i had a picture of this - there really is nothing stopping the seal from coming out except that i cant get traction to pull it out.

the newer stuff also "looks" like it comes out but the retaining ring i'm speaking about sits just far enough over the seal to keep it from coming out (or the new from going in) but no far enough to tell without looking closely.

it looks like it's just part of the trans casting, i had no clue first time i dove into the same job. i started picking at the seal until someone told me how it works.

i got mine out and set to work putting in the ones Napa sold me... yeah they sold me something that was totally wrong and they didnt have the right thing in stock. they said they had one somewhere in portland and another one in seattle or something... not good

they gave me a number CR 10666

schucks didnt have them. but gave me the part number skf 10665

auto zone didnt have them either but they gave me the number 222745

tomorrow im going to call and see if mcguire bearing in portland is open on the saturday of a holiday weekend because they stock a ton of bearings and seals for things.

Edited by bicycle_ben

You did mark the location and count the number of turns when removing the retainers right? This sets the hypoid gear backlash on the front diff and if you set it wrong the diff will last about a week.

GD

i actually didnt have to remove any retainers or move anything to get the seals out. each seal had a little crack in it (where it was leaking) and i was able to poke a screwdriver in there and pop them out like you would any other seal

i actually didnt have to remove any retainers or move anything to get the seals out. each seal had a little crack in it (where it was leaking) and i was able to poke a screwdriver in there and pop them out like you would any other seal

YOU AREN"T LISTENING!!!!

The seals CANNOT be properly installed from outside the retainer.

The retainer needs to come out, then the seal presses in from the back side.

ALL OF THEM ARE LIKE THIS.

EA71,EA81,EA82, EJ .......all of them.

Now if you would like to waste more of you're time and ours.....please by all means keep jusgt prying and poking away. Why listen to us? We only have been through this about a bajillion times......what do we know.

i've already tried :horse:, i guess we just wait until he screws up a few seals trying to install it before he'll pay attention. i get the feeling this is a one second at a time kind of deal here....nothing matters until it's an emergency...we've all seen that type before.

here's an analogy for this situation:

"a piston rod broke and shot a hole in my block - so i'm going to reinstall a new rod and bearing through that hole, so my question is - do i JB weld or Epoxy the hole in the block?" :lol:

• 12 years later...

Hey guys, I know I'm digging up an OLD thread here.  I'm having the same problem on my 86 BRAT 4spd dual range.  One of the output shafts for the front cv axles sprung a leak yesterday and made a nice little river of gear oil down my driveway.  When I look up seals be via AutoZones website I find a duralast seal with the part number: 223255 but in the notes it says "rear differential, Subaru R160".  I assume that means it's the seal for the rear diff and not the trans?  Are they the same?  Does anyone have a number for the correct seal that I need?  Any help is greatly appreciated!