Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello, I am new to this forum. This is also my first Subaru, it has 191,000 on it, is an AWD and has no tachometer(must be an "L") and it runs just great. The Airbag Light has been on since I purchased it 6 months ago, then about 500 miles ago it went off and now it's back on. I found the diagnostic connector and retrieved codes 11 and 22 I think, long flash, short flash, then long flash, long flash and short flash , short flash. Could someone help me out with what these codes mean. Thanks in advance........Mike

Edited by fastrat37
mis-spelling

a quick google search of Subaru airbag code 11 22 gives:

Driver's side airbag or control module/ Passenger's side airbag or control module.

Was the car ever in an accident? Odd that the light would go off. It almost had to have an accident for it to have multiple codes. If i was just a "glitch" or "connection" or random failure I'd only expect one code.

You can buy a set of front bags and the computer. I've heard of folks just replacing the bags before, but I've always had to replace the bags and computer.

My guess is older vehicles (which I never work on - like first gen 1990-1995 stuff) may be simpler. All the newer ones I've done I've had to replace the computer as well.

Wow, fast reply, thanks........yes it was in a fender bender in the left front a year ago by now, dented in the plastic bumper and I got it popped back out, damaged the marker/turn signal lamp housing and some sheetmetal bending. Insurance paid my nephew $2400 for the car and they then sold it to me for $500 as a commuter. Did I read the codes right?

I also need the headlights and buckets as the front end needs some TLC....

I think it will probably have a salvage title when I get it this month and then take it in for the emissions test.

I had the exact same problem on '98 OBW. Given that I've owned the car 2+ years and it shows no signs of prior accident damage and it never had an airbag warning until recently, I thought it was highly improbable that both the pass and drivers side airbags failed at the same time. I suspected the control module (the common factor which can set both of those codes.)

I cleared codes and they kept coming back. I then wiggled some of the orange connectors under the dash on passenger side of the car. I cleared the codes again and they haven't come back in 6 months. Baffled- the connectors were all properly seated.

There was another fellow posting on here who had what the dealer diagnosed as a failure of the airbag control module. Replaced the airbag control module, codes went away for one year then returned later. I think it happened annually and the guy finally traded in the OB when it was due for module #3. I have a hunch that there's either a bad crimp connector or a bad ground which is a problem on these vehicles and dealers misdiagnose it as the control module. I won't be able to try to figure it out until it fails again, I guess!

Where is the module or computer located? I guess I will start there and work my way around the vehicle and check some connectors as I locate them....airbag repairs can total some of these cars pretty quick even when the visible damage isn't that bad...........no worries though, I still am enjoying the car and can't wait for another Colorado winter.

control module is under and behind the radio. requires torx bits to remove (some require security torx bits).

did the air bags go off when the accident happened?

if it was in an accident and the bags didn't deploy then maybe it just needs a new module.

FSM says they are "one time use only" items. that's not true on older ones as i know folks that have swapped just bags and reused old computers after a wreck, but all the newer ones that i've done needed the computer replaced after an accident.

There was no airbag deployment in the accident, the other vehicle attempted a right-hand turn from the lane next to them and clipped the left front corner, I just looked at the l/f sensor and there is no sheetmetal or body wrinkles anywhere around it, everything under the front end looks to be just fine.