Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 spare tire

Does anyone actually inflate the EA82 spare tire up to 60psi? I took mine off the car while doing some engine work, and checked the pressure, only about 33psi. But since it came stock with the car back in '87, I'm a little nervous about taking it to the service station and inflating it to 60. All that air inside that little tire!?!?

What experiences do people have with this?

Luke

Sheesh! I have a full sized tire and rim under the hood so I can actually drive if I need a spare. Temp donuts suck big time - can't drive normal speeds, can only drive a little ways before they are toast, etc. I would ESPECIALLY not trust the donut that came with the car! Rubber gets old and can fail at any time.

I have the original doughnut in my 84 Brat and have used it on more than one once. I delivered pizza one night on my spare in the snow with no problems.It is a good idea to check your spare tire's air pressure on a regular basis. I check mine when I change the oil.It is an easy thing to overlook but a flat spare just adds injury to insult.I keep mine at 60 PSI.

I generally inflate tires to the maximun pressure listed on the sidewall but as mentioned, only if the tire is in good condition.

Interesting side note:

I went hiking one day and when I got back to the car at dusk, I discovered I had a flat tire. I pulled the space saver outa the engine bay and it was flat too. I was 20 miles back in the woods and didn't have a coat, no food, nothing. I didn't want to ruin my good flat tire so I bolted on the spare and drove on it determined to get closer to the highway. Anyway, I ended up driving all the way out on it and then another 20 miles, ON THE FREEWAY! at 50MPH. I got home and the sidewalls were damn near worn through but it didn't even break the bead! Them suckas are tough!

BTW-I reinflated it (not to 60PSI!) and it would hold air with a slow leak!

Thanks guys for the advice and experience. I'll inflate it to 60psi, since the rubber appears to be in very good condition. I just don't want this thing blowing up in my face at the service station.

But, now that several of you mention a full size wheel will fit under the hood, I'll add that to my shopping list for my next JY trip.

Luke